UX Designer, Design Systems
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
At McDonald’s, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every single requirement!
Come be a part of the McDonald’s digital design system team and join our group of designers passionate about creating inclusive products for McDonald’s customer base. You will be an integral part of our design system team, responsible for visual & interaction design for components across app, web, and kiosk. In this role you can expect to collaborate with McDonald’s agency partners, accessibility experts, internal product managers, UX researchers and report to the Sr. UX Design Manager for Design System. This is a critical role that will take designs and equip our team and partners with a product that enables productivity at scale with speed, confidence, and precision.
Work with the Global Technology Product Engineering team to ensure the delivery of high-fidelity designs with particular focus on creating and modifying design system patterns, specifications, and quality assurance through the agile design and development process.
The ideal candidate will be detail oriented with a deep understanding of scalable, component-based atomic design solutions and UX best practices, someone who approaches design holistically and is passionate about working closely with others throughout the design process; a resilient, self-starter.
- Contribute to, maintain, and apply McDonald’s first global design system
- Audit existing design libraries and combine/reinvent libraries with a strategic and scalable approach
- Find opportunities across our existing digital ecosystems to reduce UX & UI redundancy
- Establish naming conventions and organizational frameworks for all levels of atomic design
- Work closely with agency partners, product managers and developers to create, modify, document, and deliver designs that scale across a variety of audiences, abilities, devices, and platforms
- Review and ensure designs are accurately implemented by development teams
- Effectively collaborate with the product and development teams to understand business, technical and user requirements and dependencies
- Communicate designs, verbally and visually, to stakeholders and other team members, and productively address any feedback
- Provide clear documentation for your designs and work with development through the implementation process
- Create high-fidelity prototypes using Figma
- Proven experience in omnichannel digital UI/UX design - native app design a must
- Must have good understanding and hands-on experience with atomic design standard methodologies
- Understanding of visual design principles, including layout, typography, color theory, and information hierarchy
- Understanding of responsive/adaptive design principles including rapid iteration process and how to consider breakpoints and different displays
- Experience creating, contributing to, or consuming component-based design systems
- Experience building and managing design system libraries
- Experience in Figma, Sketch, PowerPoint, Excel, Jira, Confluence
- Ability to concisely document and express interface and interaction guidelines that can be readily understood by product designers, leadership and applied by developers
- Knowledge of WCAG accessibility standards
- Experience working with accessibility teams
- Experience working in Agile delivery environments where the pace is fast, continuous and a focus on execution is critical
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, or related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with or within a digital agency
- Experience with motion design and front-end development is a plus
- Experience designing for and working with CMS software
- Passion for McDonald’s is a bonus!
- Must be fully vaccinated (i.e., at least 2 weeks after last dose) for COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination by start date.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact email@example.com
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.