Technical Product Manager, Restaurant Hardware Solutions
McDonald’s evolving Accelerating the Arches growth strategy puts our customers and people first, and leverages our competitive advantages to strengthen our brand. We are recognized on lists like Fortune’s Most Admired Companies and Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies.
Doubling Down on the 4Ds (Delivery, Digital, Drive Thru, and Development)
Our growth pillars emphasize the important role technology plays as the leading, global omni-channel restaurant brand. Technology enables the organization through digital technology, and improving the customer, crew and employee experience each and every day.
Global Technology forging the way
Leading the digitization of our business is the Technology organization made up of intrapreneurs who build industry defining tech using the latest innovations and platforms, like AI and edge computing to deliver on the next set of cutting-edge opportunities for the business. At McDonald’s you get to solve technology innovation challenges at an incredible scale, and work across global teams who are always hungry for a challenge. This provides access to exciting career paths for technologists. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.
Check out the Global Technology Technical Blog to learn how technology is directly enabling the Accelerating the Arches strategy.Job Description:
This opportunity is part of the Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations team (GTIO), where our mission is to deliver modern and relevant technology that supports the way McDonald’s works. We provide best-in-class foundational technology products and services including Global Networking, Cloud, End User Computing, and IT Service Management. It’s our goal to always provide an engaging, relevant, and simple experience for our customers.
The Technical Product Manager, Restaurant Hardware Solutions, is part of the Restaurant Infrastructure & Operations team within Global Technology. This role reports to the Senior Technical Product Manager and is responsible for leading a portfolio of restaurant hardware solutions. The restaurant environment is complex, made up of many different technology hardware solutions. With constantly evolving needs of restaurant crew and customers, this team plays an important role in understanding those needs and evolving our hardware solutions to keep pace. Being a new team, the Technical Product Manager will play a key role in defining the scope of the Hardware Solutions team portfolio and associated hardware lifecycle processes - including evolution of Infrastructure as a Service capabilities related to restaurant hardware.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced technology leader to help shape the transformation of infrastructure and operations products and services to the entire McDonalds environment.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Support the Senior Manager, Restaurant Hardware solutions, by executing short-term strategy for a portfolio of hardware solutions (e.g., digital menu boards)
- Understand restaurant needs (crew, customer, manager) and translate those functional and technical needs into product requirements to be used in designing and/or selecting a hardware product, as well as continuous enhancement of the product
- Partner with market and cross-functional teams to define standards / technical specifications, select and approve global solutions, and certify new hardware solutions
- With a shift to expanded global standards and hardware as a service, the Technical Product Manager will contribute to defining market-level installation and ongoing technical support for products within their domain.
- Contribute to the performance of the team by overseeing work of suppliers and related teams
- Solve defined problems; identify ways to modify processes to meet end customer needs (e.g. operator or customer challenges with a particular hardware solution)
- Define and enforce hardware solution quality standards
- Design and execute tests to guarantee up-time of hardware solutions in the markets; oversee third party hardware certification testing where appropriate
- Provide input on deployment plan for hardware solutions to market teams
- Facilitate processes to maintain and support hardware in the markets
- Manage stakeholder relationships, including product teams as customers of hardware solutions, and ensure stakeholders are aligned with hardware roadmaps.
- Willingness and ability to live the McDonald’s values every day: Serve, Inclusion, Integrity, Community, and Family.
- Demonstrated experience owning and delivering high load technology or hardware products with measurable results.
- Experience partnering with stakeholders across a complex, global organization.
- Experience prioritizing product feature development and cost/benefit analysis (e.g. business case creation, MVP define & develop, backlog prioritization)
- Impact-minded approach, with ability to articulate goals and instill action and alignment to reach them.
- Experience working in an agile product development environment: participating in and leading agile ceremonies, managing a backlog/release plan, tracking metrics of multiple teams, removing blockers (burndown chart, release burn up, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to manage technical products from an unclear problem statement, driving clarity, understanding, and opportunity assessment, managing trade-offs and evaluating potential concepts with internal and external partners using design thinking and agile principles.
- Experience managing technical priorities and driving strategic hardware initiatives.
- Ability to utilize data to proactively identify and solve complex problems potentially impacting the restaurant infrastructure platform function.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, develop product strategy and business cases, and measure success.
- Strong written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to convey complex ideas in easy-to-understand business friendly language.
- Understand customer centricity, and lead products with that mindset.
- Experience with hardware peripherals, architecture, and cataloging processes. Example hardware: kiosks, digital signage, media players, scanners, cash recyclers, audio systems, etc.
- Experience with infrastructure as a service (IaaS)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence and partner across product and platform teams within a global engineering organization
- Demonstrated ability to manage and navigate to drive results within a globally distributed organization
- Experience defining hardware standards and specifications that address global complexities and differences between markets / regions
- Experience managing P&L of a program and developing/managing financial forecasts to communicate ROI and spend rate
- 8+ years of technical product management or relevant experience with a Bachelor’s degree or 6+ years relevant experience with a Master’s degree.
- 2+ years working with restaurant or retail hardware solutions and platforms.
- Experience working on technical teams that manage an important product and/or a suite of products.
- Experience communicating with leadership and setting expectations for major cross-functional initiatives.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.