Technical Product Manager, Platform Lead (Restaurant Compute)
McDonald’s evolving Accelerating the Arches growth strategy puts our customers and people first, and leverages our competitive advantages to strengthen our brand. We are recognized on lists like Fortune’s Most Admired Companies and Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies.
Doubling Down on the 4Ds (Delivery, Digital, Drive Thru, and Development)
Our growth pillars emphasize the important role technology plays as the leading, global omni-channel restaurant brand. Technology enables the organization through digital technology, and improving the customer, crew and employee experience each and every day.
Global Technology forging the way
Leading the digitization of our business is the Technology organization made up of intrapreneurs who build industry defining tech using the latest innovations and platforms, like AI and edge computing to deliver on the next set of cutting-edge opportunities for the business. At McDonald’s you get to solve technology innovation challenges at an incredible scale, and work across global teams who are always hungry for a challenge. This provides access to exciting career paths for technologists. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.
Check out the Global Technology Technical Blog to learn how technology is directly enabling the Accelerating the Arches strategy.Job Description:
This opportunity is part of the Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations team (GTIO), where our mission is to deliver modern and relevant technology that supports the way McDonald’s works. We provide best-in-class foundational technology products and services including Global Networking, Cloud, End User Computing, and IT Service Management. It’s our goal to always provide an engaging, relevant, and simple experience for our customers.
The Manager, Platform Lead (Restaurant Compute) is part of the Restaurant Infrastructure & Operations Platform team within Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations (GTIO). This role reports to the Director of the Restaurant Infrastructure & Operations Platform and is responsible for leading the core Restaurant Compute platform. The Restaurant Compute platform includes tools, processes, and services related to hosting, orchestration and integration.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced technology leader to help shape the transformation of infrastructure and operations products and services to the entire McDonalds environment.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Provide input to the platform management strategy; implement the short-term strategy for specific components of the Restaurant Compute platform
- Contribute to the performance of the team by overseeing work of other team members, including engineers and architects
- Solve defined problems; identifies ways to modify processes to meet customer needs
- Define and carry out platform quality standards
- In partnership with the Hardware Solutions team, align specific hardware solution standards to support the Restaurant Compute platform requirements
- Own and maintain a prioritized platform roadmap, sequenced to align with overall platform strategy and other internal team members.
- Provide guidance to platform architecture and make key decisions.
- Lead partner relationships, including product teams as users of platform functionality, and ensure those product teams are aligned with platform roadmap
- Provide input into restaurant global standards to ensure consistency.
- Liaise with internal leaders, segment and market teams, the Restaurant Systems Management (RSM), and Hardware Solutions team on their strategies and plans for individual solutions.
- Decompose complex problems into straightforward solutions. Consistently bring strong, data-driven business, and technical judgment to decisions.
- Identify core challenges or opportunities within business processes. Understand the root cause and impacts for the project and other teams.
- Remove bottlenecks to enable teams to work independently. Drive team members to proactively identify gaps and opportunities (e.g., services, workflows, tooling) within or between markets and other parts of the organization.
- Invest time to coach team members to refine their capabilities and close skill gaps.
- Willingness and ability to live the McDonald’s values every day: Serve, Inclusion, Integrity, Community, and Family.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Virtualization Management and Container Orchestrations platforms
- Experience with large scale distributed Infrastructure CI/CD implementations
- Understanding of Platform capabilities such as Messaging, Logging, Secrets- and Certificate Management
- Experience with Microsoft System Center (Configuration Manager, Intune), Ansible, Jamf, or related Systems Management technologies.
- Experience with large-scale Asset Inventory solutions, observability, and reporting
- Understanding and experience of Windows Server, Windows Client, and Linux based Operating Systems, platforms, and their management aspects
- Demonstrated knowledge of large-scale infrastructure / device configuration and management, software installation and security patching in a QSR / Retail-like environment
- Knowledge and experience with Infrastructure as Code Implementations (Terraform, Chef, Puppet, AWS Cloud Formation)
- Demonstrated experience with data analytics; defining, delivering, and using dashboards and reports for meaningful, actionable insights
- Expertise with Privileged Access Management concepts and platform-related Security toolsets
- Experience partnering with collaborators across an at-scale, complex, global organization.
- Strategic capabilities e.g. business/investment case creation, MVP define & develop, backlog prioritization
- Impact-minded approach, with ability to articulate goals and instill action and alignment to reach them.
- Experience working in a leadership role in an agile product development environment: participating and leading agile ceremonies, handling a backlog/release plan, tracking metrics of multiple teams, removing blockers (burndown chart, release burn up, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to manage technical products from an unclear problem statement, driving clarity, understanding, and opportunity assessment, managing tradeoffs and evaluating potential concepts with internal and external partners using design thinking and agile principles.
- Experience managing technical priorities and driving strategic architectural initiatives.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, develop product strategy and cases to measure success.
- Strong written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to convey complex ideas in easy-to-understand business friendly language.
- Understand customer centricity, and lead products with that mentality.
- Experience with Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS).
- Experience with on-premise, Edge and Cloud platform design patterns, and vendor platform capabilities; experience deploying Edge or Cloud tools and technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence and partner across product and platform teams within a global engineering organization.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and navigate to drive results within a globally distributed organization.
- Experience building and managing infrastructure platforms that address global complexities, meet security standards, and support differences between markets/regions.
- Experience managing P&L of a program and developing/managing financial forecasts to communicate value and spend rate.
- 8+ years of technical product management or relevant experience with a Bachelor’s degree or 6+ years relevant experience with a Master’s degree.
- 1+ years working with restaurant or retail hardware solutions and platforms.
- 3+ years of experience in leadership roles, including leading teams of employees.
- Experience leading technical teams that manage a strategically important product and/or a suite of products.
- Experience leading teams of employees on large-scale system implementations.
- Experience influencing senior leaders (VPs, SVP, CxO), and setting expectations for major multi-functional initiatives.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact email@example.com
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.