Technical Product Manager, Payments
McDonald’s new growth strategy, Accelerating the Arches, encompasses all aspects of our business as the leading global omni-channel restaurant brand. As the consumer landscape shifts we are using our competitive advantages to further strengthen our brand. One of our core growth strategies is to Double Down on the 3Ds (Delivery, Digital and Drive Thru). McDonald’s will accelerate technology innovation so 65M+ customers a day will experience a fast, easy experience, whether at one of our 25,000 and growing Drive Thrus, through McDelivery, dine-in or takeaway.
Leading this tech revolution is McDonald’s Global Technology organization made up of intrapreneurs who get to build really cool tech with scary smart people using the latest innovations like AI, IOT, and edge computing. We do this working along diverse, global teams who are always hungry for a challenge. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.
As we have matured as an engineering organization and seen the demands for technology grow exponentially, we’re gearing up to deliver on the next set of opportunities for the business. We are building up an engineering team in house accountable for our strategic products. We’ll have diverse squads made up of engineers with traditional and specialized skillsets, both from internal engineers coupled with our partners, to help us flex with demand and solve technology innovation challenges done at an incredible scale.
About McDonald’s Global Product Engineering Team
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries and billions of customers each year. More and more of our customers are interacting with McDonald’s through Digital channels, including our Mobile Apps and In-Store Kiosks. The McDonald’s Global Product Engineering Team is responsible for driving digital innovation inside and outside of our restaurants. We identify the most meaningful opportunities for our customers and our business, and we bring them to life through industry-changing products like Mobile Ordering and McDelivery.
The McDonalds Product Engineering Team is looking for a Technical Product Engineering Manager to join our team and drive the orders and payments APIs, development, and execution of the digital experience through our software platform products. Our software and platform are used globally to transact millions of orders for tens of thousands of stores every day. As a product engineering team member, you will be key to McDonald’s strategy for strengthening the relationship our customers have with our brand and restaurant experience. In conjunction with your team and partners you will lead the effort to assess, innovate and evolve our orders and payments capabilities at a global level.
- Manage portfolio of high-availability, API and microservice products that support a variety of digital ordering and payment features for restaurants and guests
- Communicate technical product vision and maintains the product backlog, and creates/maintains the individual service technical roadmaps
- Identify problems/opportunities, quantify the value in solving them, participates in how to solve using technology
- Evaluate and prioritize emerging opportunities for performance, scalability, and integration
- Partner with treasury and business stakeholders to set and track business goals for strategic initiatives
- Closely evaluate and balance new systems requirements with technical trade-offs and the impact of tech debt
- Balance the needs of product stakeholders and leadership with the product roadmap, prioritizing the backlog to best deliver on key objectives while maintaining performance
- Define product features and participate in epic and user story grooming as part of the agile project framework
- Lead & participate in cross-functional teams during the lifecycle of product development
- Partner with technology, business and market stakeholders, Treasury, PMO, and Digital Customer Experience to continuously improve the customer experience, and set and track business goals and KPIs for strategic initiatives
- Highlight progress through outcome-based updates and product reviews
- Lead multiple agile squads and be able to effectively leverage allocated capacity and deploy product and features to market
- Collaborate with and manage partners
- Create business cases outlining projected impact
- Support change management efforts for product solutions and convey key messages to customers and stakeholders
- Demonstrated success managing high-availability API-based products in eCommerce or for large-scale SaaS offerings
- 6+ years’ experience in product management, with a focus on payments, fraud, and/or commerce/ordering
- Experience with implementing resilient, reusable, and flexible APIs and microservices designed to support and improve the technical ecosystem
- Experience constantly evolving portfolios of services while in production use
- Experience in agile software development methodologies
- BS/BA required, finance or technical specialty desired, MBA a plus
- Experience owning the creation or modification of key technology capabilities / product areas
- Passion for existing and emerging technologies, including eCommerce, payment, ordering
- High-volume, high-availability, internet, retail or eCommerce experience strongly preferred
- Prior experience in supporting checkout, payments, and omni-channel fulfillment
- Demonstrated technical acumen; ability to influence and debate solutions with technical team members, to understand technology solutions and potential tradeoffs and to represent technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
- Data-driven mindset, understand complex logic and process of interconnected data flows throughout business work-stream
- Ability to communicate and leverage empirical data both verbally and in writing to business leaders of all levels
- Strongly collaborative and effective in a cross-functional environment with the ability influence key stakeholders across organizations
- 5+ years of experience in software development and integration of complex and scalable systems
- 5+ years of experience in developing, or integrating back-end systems/APIs and web/mobile applications
- 2+ years of experience with cloud application architecture and deployment best practices (AWS Preferred)
- Hands on exposure to following areas/technologies:
- API design and development
- Microservice design patterns
- Application scalability, reliability, and resiliency design patterns
- Application security (Oauth, cert/key management)
- Relational and NoSQL database strategies/technologies
- DevOps practices and methodologies
- Good knowledge and high-level understanding of Digital Payments Domain
Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.Additional Information:
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact email@example.com
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.