Technical Product Manager, Cloud Operations
McDonald’s new growth strategy, Accelerating the Arches, encompasses all aspects of our business as the leading global omni-channel restaurant brand. As the consumer landscape shifts, we are using our competitive advantages to further strengthen our brand. One of our core growth strategies is to Double Down on the 3Ds (Delivery, Digital and Drive Thru). McDonald’s will accelerate technology innovation so 65M+ customers a day will experience a fast, easy experience, whether at one of our 25,000 and growing Drive Thrus, through McDelivery, dine-in or takeaway.
Leading this revolution is McDonald’s Global Technology organization made up of intrapreneurs who get to build really cool tech with scary smart people using the latest innovations like AI, IOT, and edge computing. We do this working along diverse, global teams who are always hungry for a challenge. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McDonald’s restaurant.
As we have matured as an engineering organization and seen the demands for technology grow exponentially, we’re gearing up to deliver on the next set of opportunities for the business. We are building up an engineering team in house accountable for our strategic products. We’ll have diverse squads made up of engineers with traditional and specialized skillsets, both from internal engineers coupled with our partners, to help us flex with demand and solve technology innovation challenges done at an incredible scale.Job Description:
This opportunity is part of the Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations team (GTIO), where our mission is to deliver modern and relevant technology that supports the way McDonald’s works. We provide best-in-class foundational technology products and services including Global Networking, Cloud, End User Computing, and IT Service Management. It’s our goal to always provide an engaging, relevant, and simple experience for our customers.
The Cloud Operations Technical Product Manager role is part of the Cloud Ecosystem team in Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations. The role reports to the Senior Manager of Operations and is responsible for driving the Operations cloud platform engineering outcomes, managing the agile product and process, and driving alignment with the Cloud Business Office and other Cloud Platform Engineering teams (DevOps and security).
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced technology leader to help shape the transformation of infrastructure and operations products and services to the entire McDonalds environment.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Manages a strategically important technology product, and/or suite of products with significant business impact. Owns the definition of the product(s) roadmap.
- Guides a team of technical product managers expected to broadly influence across a large portion of the organization or with a charter to innovate/disrupt a strategically important domain.
- Maintains a strategic focus yet retains an appropriate level of hands-on management. Partners with business leaders, technical product managers, and / or architects to determine the long-term viability of systems/products, from business and technology standpoints.
- Communicates ideas effectively, verbally and in writing, to a wide range of audiences, including Directors and VPs. Fosters a constructive dialogue, harmonizes discordant views, and leads the resolution of issues.
- Decomposes significantly complex problems into straight-forward solutions. Consistently brings strong, data-driven business, and technical judgment to decisions.
- Identifies core problems or opportunities within business processes. Understands the root cause and impacts for the project and other teams.
- Removes bottlenecks to enable your team(s) to work independently. Drives team members to proactively identify gaps and opportunities (e.g., services, workflows, tooling) within or between markets and other parts of the organization.
- Invests time to coach junior technical product managers to refine their capabilities and close skill gaps. Works closely with technical product managers and leads by example.
- Responsible for the "Build, Test, Deploy" and "Operate & Manage" capabilities within the operations cloud platform engineering functions.
- Responsible for codifying standards and guardrails, packaging, self-service, automation and continuous improvement of the cloud platform operations.
- Must be fully vaccinated (i.e., at least 2 weeks after last dose) for COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination by start date.
- Willingness and ability to live the McDonald’s values every day: Serve, Inclusion, Integrity, Community, and Family.
- Demonstrated ability to manage technical products, driving clarity, understanding and discussing technical concepts, managing tradeoffs, and evaluating potential concepts with internal and external partners
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions, develop project business cases, and measure success.
- Strong in problem-solving, organizational and analytical skills, with the ability to evolve product strategy based on research, data, and industry trends.
- Good presentation and writing skills, with the ability to translate theory into practical application.
- Understand customer centricity, and lead products with that mindset.
- Exudes collaboration and conflict-resolving qualities.
- At least 1-2 years of experience in change and design initiatives, covering areas such as cloud, operations, technology, and product development.
- Experience collaborating with channel partners, systems integrators, and third-parties to deliver and manage implementation of solutions.
- Certification: Azure Fundamentals Certification and/or AWS Cloud Practitioner Certification.
- Experience in one or more of the following: cloud infrastructure, SaaS, big data, security and privacy, development and operations, or artificial intelligence/machine learning.
- Associate-level cloud certifications (AWS or Azure) and willingness to complete and pass a professional level security certification within 12 months.
- Professional-level cloud certifications (AWS or Azure) or related.
- A good understanding of Windows and Linux operating systems.
- A good understanding of bash, python, or other programming languages.
- 8+ years of technical product management or relevant experience with a Bachelor’s degree or 6+ years relevant experience with a Master’s degree.
- Experience working on technical teams that manage an important product and/or a suite of products.
- Experience communicating with leadership and setting expectations for major cross-functional initiatives.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.