Technical Consultant, Hardware Solutions
McDonald’s evolving Accelerating the Arches growth strategy puts our customers and people first, and leverages our competitive advantages to strengthen our brand. We are recognized on lists like Fortune’s Most Admired Companies and Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies.
Doubling Down on the 4Ds (Delivery, Digital, Drive Thru, and Development)
Our growth pillars emphasize the important role technology plays as the leading, global omni-channel restaurant brand. Technology enables the organization through digital technology, and improving the customer, crew and employee experience each and every day.
Global Technology forging the way
Leading the digitization of our business is the Technology organization made up of intrapreneurs who build industry defining tech using the latest innovations and platforms, like AI and edge computing to deliver on the next set of cutting-edge opportunities for the business. At McDonald’s you get to solve technology innovation challenges at an incredible scale, and work across global teams who are always hungry for a challenge. This provides access to exciting career paths for technologists. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.
Check out the Global Technology Technical Blog to learn how technology is directly enabling the Accelerating the Arches strategy.Job Description:
This opportunity is part of the Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations team (GTIO), where our mission is to deliver modern and relevant technology that supports the way McDonald’s works. We provide best-in-class foundational technology products and services including Global Networking, Cloud, End User Computing, and IT Service Management. It’s our goal to always provide an engaging, relevant, and simple experience for our customers.
The Technical Consultant’s role is to support the Restaurant Hardware Solutions team in defining, prioritizing, executing, and deploying against the team’s roadmap. This role reports to the Sr. Manager, Restaurant Hardware Solutions and will provide foundational support to the team through market and supplier opportunity and solution exploration. The technical consultant will assist with market needs analysis and solutioning, including exploration of new technology capabilities and impacts on restaurant hardware solutions. The tech consultant will also analyze product portfolio data, analyze ROI and cost implications of new hardware standards, and assist with product roadmap development and backlog management.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced technology leader to help shape the transformation of restaurant operations hardware and related services for the global McDonalds system.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Partner with internal/external collaborators, customers, and suppliers to:
- Leverage data insights and research to develop recommendations for new or replacement hardware and OS/driver upgrades to support restaurant operations (lifecycle management).
- Plan for and provide hardware lifecycle management plans for servers and peripheral devices.
- Certify new hardware standards to support restaurant operations globally (servers, endpoints / peripherals, cameras, printers, server rack, etc).
- Conduct research into emerging technology implications on hardware solutions and develop recommendations in partnership with suppliers and engineering teams. Technologies to investigate may include IoT, virtualization of compute to central cloud-like server, etc.
- May assist with management and supervision of security patch image creation / distribution and hardware certification related to assigned hardware portfolio.
- May assist with "gold build" creation and certification for new hardware, including specific OS and drivers.
- Update the global restaurant hardware catalogue as needed.
- Author and manage market communications for patching, upgrades, end of sale (EOS), end of life (EOL), and related events.
- Explore opportunities for further simplification of market activities and documentation related to restaurant hardware, installation, and support with the move toward greater standardization.
- Work in an Agile environment and continuously review business needs, refine priorities, outline landmarks and work, and find opportunities and risks related to hardware product portfolio.
- Translate product roadmap features into well-defined product requirements including features, user stories, and acceptance test criteria.
- Support platform lead in maintaining the sprint backlog for assigned products, balancing the requirements of team members.
- Develop and maintain appropriate tracking and reporting of product performance post-launch to evaluate future investment.
- Ensure vendor performance against expectations and standards. Create and monitor feedback mechanisms that evaluate supplier performance.
- Willingness and ability to live the McDonald’s values every day: Serve, Inclusion, Integrity, Community, and Family.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a demonstrated ability to use data and metrics to drive decision-making.
- Excellent collaboration skills with the ability to work effectively in multi-functional teams.
- Working knowledge of technology hardware and infrastructure, with desire to expand that knowledge to the McDonald’s restaurant hardware portfolio, including servers, peripheral devices, screens, and third-party technology solutions such as digital menu boards and drive thru audio systems.
- Demonstrated ability to lead technical solutioning, driving clarity, understanding, and discussion of technical concepts, managing tradeoffs, and evaluating potential concepts with internal and external partners.
- Familiarity with product development processes and methodologies, including agile and waterfall.
- Experience working with engineering teams to develop and deliver high-quality products.
- Ability to work independently and handle various tasks simultaneously.
- Attention to detail and a commitment to producing high-quality work.
- Passion for emerging technology and real-world applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: able to present facts, thoughts, and ideas in a clear, concise manner to senior stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work in Jira and Confluence.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and PowerPoint.
- Working knowledge of servers and peripheral devices, including technical specification definition and certification.
- Experience and working knowledge of operating system (OS) image creation and patching for local devices across globally distributed footprint.
- Experience working in a distributed retail, hospitality, or similar physical technology environment.
- Experience with Microsoft Configuration Manager (SCCM) or similar software delivery mechanisms.
- 5+ years of technical product management or relevant experience with a Bachelor’s degree or 3+ years relevant experience with a Master’s degree.
- 2+ years of experience working with technology hardware, such as servers, monitors, POS terminals, kiosks, or other peripheral devices.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting user research and translating into solution requirements.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.