Technical Architect - Restaurant Systems Management
McDonald's evolving Accelerating the Arches growth strategy puts our customers and people first and demonstrates our competitive advantages to strengthen our brand. We are recognized on lists like Fortune’s Most Admired Companies and Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies.
Doubling Down on the 4Ds (Delivery, Digital, Drive Thru, and Development)
Our growth pillars emphasize the critical role technology plays as the best-in-class, global omni-channel restaurant brand. Technology enables the organization through digital technologies, and improving the customer, crew and employee experience each and every day!
Global Technology forging the way
Leading the digitization of our business is the Technology organization made up of innovation specialists who build industry defining tech using the latest innovations and platforms, like AI and edge computing to deliver on the next set of groundbreaking opportunities for the business. We take on technology innovation challenges at an incredible scale, and work across global teams who are always hungry for a challenge! This provides access to compelling career paths for technologists. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.Job Description:
This opportunity is part of the Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations team (GTIO), where our mission is to deliver modern and relevant technology that supports the way McDonald’s works. We provide best-in-class foundational technology products and services including Global Networking, Cloud, End User Computing, and IT Service Management. It’s our goal to always provide an engaging, relevant, and simple experience for our customers.
The Technical Architect, Restaurant Systems Management (RSM), is part of the Restaurant Infrastructure & Operations Platform team within Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations (GTIO). This role works with the Senior Manager, Platform Lead (RSM) and is responsible for RSM solution architecture design, integration with other Restaurant and Enterprise systems, software development as appropriate, and setting patterns and direction for development. The RSM platform includes tools, processes, and services related to restaurant device configuration and management, compliance, software installation and security patching.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced technology leader to help shape the transformation of infrastructure and operations products and services to the entire McDonalds environment.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Identify and develop detailed solution designs to enhance, upgrade, and/or replace technology products and services within RSM that are required to support business drivers.
- Support training of internal and external technical resources to encourage end user understanding and adoption of RSM.
- Understand current state of restaurant infrastructure and operations platforms globally, as well as Edge and Cloud platform capabilities, to contribute to the definition of a future state restaurant infrastructure architecture blueprint with specific focus on tools and services to keep in-restaurant devices up-to-date and secure.
- Knowledge of device configuration, software installation, and security patching
- Provide domain expertise for current and future planning, technical architectures, models, and standards.
- Partner with multi-functional teams, including Restaurant Hardware Solutions, Cloud Infrastructure & Operations, Service Management Office (SMO), Network Platform team, Restaurant Technology, and other external partners, to drive the restaurant infrastructure and operations platforms toward convergence, standardization, and eventually, infrastructure as a service (IaaS)
- Interpret requirements and code in a manner that encourages reuse and maintainability.
- Understand key cloud/Edge computing security measures and apply them in architecture designs.
- Contribute to the performance of the team by investing time to coach more junior technical team members, including architects and engineers.
- Provide recommendations into restaurant global standards to ensure consistency.
- Drive innovation and improve performance and value of the tools, applications and services in scope
- Stay ahead of the curve with evolving technology platforms, architecture design patterns, etc through market assessments, trend analysis, vendor seminars, and peer relationships.
- Decompose complex problems into straightforward solutions. Consistently bring strong, data-driven business, and technical judgment to decisions.
- Identify core problems or opportunities within business processes. Understand the root cause and impacts for the project and other teams.
- Must be fully vaccinated (i.e., at least 2 weeks after last dose) for COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination by start date.
- Willingness and ability to live the McDonald’s values every day: Serve, Inclusion, Integrity, Community, and Family.
- In-depth hands-on knowledge of Microsoft System Center (Configuration Manager, Intune), Ansible, Jamf, or related Systems Management technologies.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with Infrastructure as Code Implementations (Terraform, Chef, Puppet, AWS Cloud Formation)
- Understanding of DevOps in large-scale distributed environments
- Understanding of Server (Microsoft Windows, Linux), Client (Microsoft Windows, Linux) and Android / Apple systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of device configuration, software installation and security patching
- Demonstrated experience owning and delivering high load digital products / infrastructure with measurable results.
- Demonstrated ability to define and evolve infrastructure platform architecture blueprints from an unclear problem statement, driving clarity, understanding, and opportunity assessment, managing tradeoffs and evaluating potential concepts with internal and external partners using design thinking and agile principles.
- Demonstrated track record of designing and implementing successful infrastructure platform architectures at scale in distributed environments.
- Experience managing technical priorities and driving strategic architectural initiatives.
- Ability to apply data to proactively identify and solve complex problems potentially impacting the restaurant infrastructure platform function.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, develop product strategy and cases, and measure success.
- Ability to think strategically and relate architectural decisions / recommendations to business needs.
- Deep understanding of cloud solution architecture in one or more major cloud service providers (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- In-depth experience with some or all these cloud concepts: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Serverless Architecture, Container Architecture, Platform as a Service (PaaS), Storage, Infrastructure as Code, and Identity and Access Management.
- Hands-on experience with IT Infrastructure / Platform and Cloud development, including:
- Server, Edge, IOT Compute
- Virtualization, Containerization
- Container Management Systems
- Event, Messaging Systems
- Observability Systems (Performance, Telemetry)
- HA Platform Designs
- Cloud, Hybrid, Hyperconvergence Environments
- Experience with product development processes and methodologies, including agile and waterfall.
- Experience working with engineering teams to develop and deliver high-quality products.
- Ability to work independently and manage numerous projects simultaneously.
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to producing high-quality work.
- Passion for emerging technology and real-world applications.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills: able to present facts, thoughts, and ideas in a clear, concise manner to senior collaborators.
- Understand customer centricity, and lead products with that mentality.
- Experience with infrastructure as a service (IaaS) and platform as a service (PaaS).
- Experience with Edge and Cloud platform design patterns and vendor platform capabilities; experience deploying Edge or Cloud tools and technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence and partner across product and platform teams within a global engineering organization.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and navigate to get results within a globally distributed organization.
- Experience building and managing infrastructure platforms that address global complexities, meet security standards, and support differences between markets/regions.
- Experience managing P&L of a program and developing/managing financial forecasts to communicate return on investment and spend rate.
- Certified: Professional level Architecture certification in Azure, AWS, GCP, or relevant alternative, or be willing to obtain in first year.
- 3+ years as an engineer or architect working with Systems Management technologies, such as Microsoft System Center (Configuration Manager, Intune), Ansible, or Jamf,.
- Bachelor’s degree or 6+ years relevant job experience and a Master’s degree.
- 2+ years of experience with cloud application architecture and deployment standard processes (AWS, Azure, and/or GCP)
- 2+ years working with restaurant or retail hardware solutions and platforms.
- Demonstrated experience delivering solutions in conjunction with 3rd party suppliers and offshore resources.
- Demonstrated experience with integration with CI/CD pipelines and test automation.
- Experience with persistence architecture, scalability, performance, and tuning techniques
- Strong experience with containers (Docker, Kubernetes), configuration management systems, CI build tools, logging, and monitoring tools
McDonald’s is an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our workforce. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. McDonald’s provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities as part of the application or hiring process or to perform the essential functions of their job. If you need assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise feel you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.