Sustainable Sourcing Consultant
McDonald's is the largest family restaurant in the world, serving approximately 69 million customers across 36,000 restaurants a day: in more than 100 countries. The UK & Ireland market is one of the most successful entities across the wider business, serving on average 4 million people a day. It has operated in UK since 1974 and the business is growing continuously with more than 1,400 restaurants and over 154,000 employees.
McDonald’s UK & Ireland has a proven track record of investing in the development of its employees and offering flexibility as part of its dedication to being a modern and progressive company. Every year, it invests over £40 million in developing people, giving every one of its employees the opportunity to take part in structured training.
McDonald’s buys ingredients from over 17,500 British and Irish farmers and spends over £1.1billion annually on its food and packaging requirements. McDonald’s is committed to supporting British and Irish farmers to ensure it can continue to source many of its ingredients from the UK and Ireland.
McDonald’s is a market leader in its field, striving for the highest standard of quality, speed and restaurant experience. Re-generation of our restaurant infrastructure, covering digital ordering, re-imaging and dual-point service make working at McDonald’s more exciting than ever!
We are dedicated to using our scale for good: good for people, our industry and the planet. From bold recycling initiatives and sustainable sourcing efforts to our partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities, we see every day as a chance to have a genuine impact on our customers, our people and our partners.
We're a people business just as much as we are a restaurant business. We strive to be the most inclusive brand in the world by building diverse teams who create delicious, feel-good moments that are easy for everyone to enjoy. Joining McDonald's means thinking big every day and preparing for a career that can have impact around the world.
Company Vision and Culture
Our Global vision is to build a better McDonald’s and, in the UK, and Ireland we are working hard to be the UK & Irelands best-loved restaurant company.
McDonald’s is defined by its culture. Our culture shapes and informs everything we think and everything we do. Our culture influences the way we interact with each other, and how we interact with customers, franchisees and suppliers. Our culture motivates and inspires us to attract and retain great talent, creating positive, energising, exceptional working environment for us all.
Our values drive our culture and shape our beliefs, our priorities and our actions. They influence the decisions we make, how we treat one another and how we show up as a brand to the world.
Serve: We put our customers and our people first
Inclusion: We open our doors to everyone
Integrity: We do the right thing
Community: We are good neighbours
Family: We get better togetherJob Description:
This role is based in our East Finchley office working 3 days in the office and 2 days remotely.
This is an opportunity to lead and develop projects to progress our UK and Ireland Plan for Change sustainability strategy, around Great Food (Sustainable Sourcing, Ethical Sourcing, Young Talent), Planet Positive (Deforestation, Regenerative Agriculture, Nature) in line with our Global goals.
You’ll be a visible, key contact for the agriculture supply chain for internal and external stakeholders, including Global Supply Chain and Global Impact.
You’ll be a sustainable and ethical sourcing lead on key food categories to provide strategic support on assured supply and embed sustainability requirements into category strategies. Along with supporting the delivery of our Brand Trust Strategy and Communications plan and building relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
What will my accountabilities be?
Plan for Change
- Lead on the ongoing development and delivery of climate and sustainable sourcing goals for specific sectors within the UK&I Plan for Change strategy, including Sustainable Sourcing Groups and R&D programmes.
- Collaborate with the McDonald’s Global team and other McDonald’s markets to share learnings and identify opportunities to scale positive impact.
- Empower suppliers and influence progress against our Plan for Change goals for key categories, working with the Strategic Sourcing and Quality Assurance teams to embed goals into sourcing strategies.
- Sustainable sourcing lead on key categories to provide strategic support on assured supply and category strategies.
- Provide technical support to the business and ensure standards in the UK and Ireland supply chain align with Global Quality, Sustainability, Farm Assurance principles.
- Liaise with suppliers and partners to drive continuous improvement to meet customer's expectations and assure supply.
- Apply latest industry thinking to business priorities.
- Adopt a strong team approach to supporting the Agriculture & Sustainable Sourcing Manager and Agriculture Co-ordinator.
- Work closely with relevant teams within McDonald's UK&I Departments including QA, Purchasing, Communications, Public Affairs, Environment, Education and Marketing and develop relationships with Global colleagues and other Markets.
- Work closely and build relationships with suppliers and franchisees.
- Build relationships with key industry stakeholders e.g. Farming Unions, Assurance Schemes, Levy Bodies, Government Departments, NGOs, Universities, Food and Farming media.
What team will I be a part?
The role would be within the Agriculture and Sustainability team within our Supply Chain department.
- Relevant Agriculture, Agri-food, Sustainability degree or equivalent.
- Significant experience within a related Agriculture, Agri-food or Sustainability industry with a track record of delivery.
- Proven ability to take the initiative and influence to deliver effective results.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Computer Literate- proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
At McDonald’s we are People from all Walks of Life...
People are at the heart of everything we do, and they make the McDonald’s experience. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture that means people can be their best authentic self in our restaurants and offices, which helps us to better serve our customers. We have a strong heritage of diversity and representation within our communities, which we are proud of. The diversity of our people, customers, Franchisees and suppliers gives us strength.
We do not tolerate inequality, injustice or discrimination of any kind. These are hugely important issues and a brand with our reach and relevance means we have a very meaningful role to play.
We also recognise our responsibility as a large employer to continue being active in our communities, helping to develop skills and drive aspirations that will help people to be more aware of the world of work and more successful within it, whether with McDonald’s or elsewhere."
Job Status: Full Time
Req ID: REF5249M_743999940324040