Solution Architect, Digital Architecture
McDonald’s new growth strategy, Accelerating the Arches, encompasses all aspects of our business as the leading global omni-channel restaurant brand. As the consumer landscape shifts we are using our competitive advantages to further strengthen our brand. One of our core growth strategies is to Double Down on the 3Ds (Delivery, Digital and Drive Thru). McDonald’s will accelerate technology innovation so 65M+ customers a day will experience a fast, easy experience, whether at one of our 25,000 and growing Drive Thrus, through McDelivery, dine-in or takeaway.
Leading this tech revolution is McDonald’s Global Technology organization made up of intrapreneurs who get to build really cool tech with scary smart people using the latest innovations like AI, IOT, and edge computing. We do this working along diverse, global teams who are always hungry for a challenge. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.
As we have matured as an engineering organization and seen the demands for technology grow exponentially, we’re gearing up to deliver on the next set of opportunities for the business. We are building up an engineering team in house accountable for our strategic products. We’ll have diverse squads made up of engineers with traditional and specialized skillsets, both from internal engineers coupled with our partners, to help us flex with demand and solve technology innovation challenges done at an incredible scale.Job Description:
The McDonald's Global Solution Architecture team is responsible for the architecture, design, integration, and management strategy of McDonald's digital and restaurant landscape. These systems power one of the most significant brands globally, enabling and scaling to over 33,000 McDonald’s restaurants operating in over 120 diversified countries. Furthermore, these software platforms provide the foundation to achieve operational excellence and reliably serve some of the world’s favorite food to a base of over 70 million customers every day, leveraging various channels to place your order.
We need collaborative and self-directed individuals who can drive technology architectures/solutions to handle the McDonald’s scale and able to ship software faster. This role requires working with multiple business stakeholders and the engineering teams to solve business problems using latest architectural design patterns and cutting-edge technologies. Also, the individual has strong interpersonal and influencing skills and broad IT domain knowledge, particularly in eCommerce, digital frontend channel applications, cloud-native design, and Architecture Governance practices.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Defining the solution architecture blueprints including service integrations and non-functional requirements
- Defining APIs and Microservice strategy/specifications
- Defining/designing non-functional requirements such as reliability, scalability, and security for critical functions and review implementation to identify gaps between design and code
- Helping engineering teams to develop the product on time, on budget and ensuring that it solves the problem it was designed to solve
- Guiding Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) on critical production issues
- Finding the best solution among all possible to solve the existing business problems
- Providing specifications according to which the solution is defined, managed and delivered
- Analyzing all non-functional requirements and ensuring that further product engineering will meet them
- Analyzing and documenting technology requirements
- Participating in technology RFPs
- Participation and providing guidance in architectural strategy and roadmaps
- 8+ experience in a software development and integration of complex and scalable systems
- 5+ years of experience in application architecture design
- 5+ years of experience in developing, or integrating back-end systems / APIs and web/mobile applications
- 2+ years of experience with cloud application architecture and deployment best practices (AWS
- Hands on exposure to following areas/ technologies
- API development
- Microservice design patterns
- Application scalability, reliability, and resiliency design patterns
- Application security (Oauth, cert/key management)
- Relational and NoSQL database strategies/technologies
- DevOps practices and methodologies
- Good knowledge and high-level understanding of digital commerce, CRM domains
- Strong analytical, planning and organizational skills with the ability to manage competing demands. The solution architect must recognize the corporate strategy and all business processes but also understand technical specifications
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communications skills and experience interacting with business and IT stakeholders at all levels including the executive level. An experienced solution architect should be able to listen, advise, empathize and explain.
- Ability to focus on details while maintaining the "big picture" view
- Experience of working in a fast-paced environment with continual demands and changing priorities
- Strong, confident, self-motivated, and willing to take ownership and accountability
Other Knowledge & Skills:
- Ability to work to challenging, high-pressure, target driven tight timescales
- Ability to build consensus between different stakeholders
- Demonstrate the experience of providing support (services) to large and complex multi-location environment
- Demonstrate the ability to work and lead without direct guidance
- Knowledge of (operational and) service level agreements, service metrics and service reporting
- Must be fully vaccinated (i.e., at least 2 weeks after last dose) for COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination by start date.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.