Site Reliability Officer
McDonald's is the largest family restaurant in the world, serving approximately 69 million customers across 36,000 restaurants a day: in more than 100 countries. The UK & Ireland market is one of the most successful entities across the wider business, serving on average 4 million people a day. It has operated in UK since 1974 and the business is growing continuously with more than 1,400 restaurants and over 154,000 employees.
McDonald’s UK & Ireland has a proven track record of investing in the development of its employees and offering flexibility as part of its dedication to being a modern and progressive company. Every year, it invests over £40 million in developing people, giving every one of its employees the opportunity to take part in structured training.
McDonald’s buys ingredients from over 17,500 British and Irish farmers and spends over £1.1billion annually on its food and packaging requirements. McDonald’s is committed to supporting British and Irish farmers to ensure it can continue to source many of its ingredients from the UK and Ireland.
McDonald’s is a market leader in its field, striving for the highest standard of quality, speed and restaurant experience. Re-generation of our restaurant infrastructure, covering digital ordering, re-imaging and dual-point service make working at McDonald’s more exciting than ever!
We are dedicated to using our scale for good: good for people, our industry and the planet. From bold recycling initiatives and sustainable sourcing efforts to our partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities, we see every day as a chance to have a genuine impact on our customers, our people and our partners.
We're a people business just as much as we are a restaurant business. We strive to be the most inclusive brand in the world by building diverse teams who create delicious, feel-good moments that are easy for everyone to enjoy. Joining McDonald's means thinking big every day and preparing for a career that can have impact around the world.
Company Vision and Culture
Our Global vision is to build a better McDonald’s and, in the UK, and Ireland we are working hard to be the UK & Irelands best-loved restaurant company.
McDonald’s is defined by its culture. Our culture shapes and informs everything we think and everything we do. Our culture influences the way we interact with each other, and how we interact with customers, franchisees and suppliers. Our culture motivates and inspires us to attract and retain great talent, creating positive, energising, exceptional working environment for us all.
Our values drive our culture and shape our beliefs, our priorities and our actions. They influence the decisions we make, how we treat one another and how we show up as a brand to the world.
Serve: We put our customers and our people first
Inclusion: We open our doors to everyone
Integrity: We do the right thing
Community: We are good neighbours
Family: We get better togetherJob Description:
An exciting opportunity to work as part of the Service Operations Team, the Site Reliability Officer will be responsible for improving the value of IT to the business by reducing the occurrence of systematic issues within our services. These improvements could be technical, procedural or behavioural and will require working across multiple partners and functions to achieve these goals.
What will my accountabilities be?
- Actively take part in ITIL Change Management processes, ensuring that changes to the system are thoroughly assessed, planned, and implemented in alignment with organizational policies and procedures.
- Proactively engage in ITIL Problem Management activities, working to identify and address root causes of incidents and recurring issues within the system.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to implement corrective measures, preventive actions, and resolutions, aiming to enhance overall system reliability.
- Work with stakeholders such as product owners to define service level objectives (SLOs) for system operations
- Use automation to reduce the probability and/or impact of problem recurrence (AIOps)
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend service monitoring tools and diagnostic techniques to improve system observability
- Train, coach and mentor Site Reliability Engineers ensuring that the team have maintained and relevant career development plans
- Remain current on site reliability engineering methods and trends such as observability-driven development and chaos engineering
What Team will I be a part?
We are looking for a forward thinking and ambitious individual to be a part of our hard-working Service Delivery Team. The team have an ambitious agenda and there is no better time to join this incredible team and be an instrumental part of improving and adapting IT within the business.
Who are my customers?
Reports directly to the Head of Service Operations and has a close working relationship with IT partners including: Capgemini, o2, Sopra Steria and Vista, collaborative working with IT Product Managers, RSG (Operations) Team, UK & ROI Restaurants, Franchisees and their representatives, Corporate Service providers, IT functional teams and 3rd party IT Test team.Qualifications:
What background do I need to have
- System Administration: Proficiency in Linux/Unix and Windows system administration.
- Networking: Understanding of network protocols, configuration, and troubleshooting.
- Cloud Services: Experience with cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud.
- Scripting and Automation: Strong scripting skills (e.g., Python, Bash) and experience with automation tools (e.g., Ansible, Puppet).
- Containerization and Orchestration: Knowledge of Docker and container orchestration tools like Kubernetes.
- Infrastructure as Code (IaC): Experience with tools like Terraform or CloudFormation for defining and provisioning infrastructure.
- Database Management: Understanding of database systems (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL) and database scaling techniques.
- Incident Response: Hands-on experience in responding to and resolving incidents efficiently.
- Change Management: Experience in implementing changes while following ITIL change management processes.
- Problem Management: Proficiency in identifying and addressing root causes of system issues.
- Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) Practices: Knowledge of SRE principles, including error budgeting, service level objectives (SLOs), and service level indicators (SLIs).
- Collaboration: Demonstrated ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams, including developers and system administrators.
- Security Awareness: Understanding of basic security principles and best practices for securing infrastructure.
- Communication: Strong verbal and written communication skills for effective collaboration and reporting.
- Problem-Solving: Analytical and critical thinking skills to identify and solve complex technical problems.
- Adaptability: Ability to thrive in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Pragmatic, thoughtful and customer driven
- Work with energy and passion and inspire the same in others
- Build a feedback-rich environment that inspires and models the exchange of feedback
- Appreciation of the needs of differing audiences (restaurants, operations and office hierarchy, franchisees, suppliers)
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences
At McDonald’s we are People from all Walks of Life...
People are at the heart of everything we do, and they make the McDonald’s experience. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture that means people can be their best authentic self in our restaurants and offices, which helps us to better serve our customers. We have a strong heritage of diversity and representation within our communities, which we are proud of. The diversity of our people, customers, Franchisees and suppliers gives us strength.
We do not tolerate inequality, injustice or discrimination of any kind. These are hugely important issues and a brand with our reach and relevance means we have a very meaningful role to play.
We also recognise our responsibility as a large employer to continue being active in our communities, helping to develop skills and drive aspirations that will help people to be more aware of the world of work and more successful within it, whether with McDonald’s or elsewhere."
Job Status: Full Time
Req ID: REF4022U_743999956030203
- Information Technology