Senior Real Estate Manager - Eastern Canada (Bilingual)
At McDonald's, we are committed to being the best, and that starts with finding the best people. We have built a team of extraordinary people from around the world. We are problem solvers, risk takers, innovators, and thought leaders that take our work seriously, but have fun doing it. We challenge ourselves to get smarter and sharper every day, we value personal and professional growth, and believe in rewarding and celebrating our successes.Job Description:
Who we are:
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries and billions of customers served each year. As the global leader in the food service industry, we have a legacy of innovation and hard work that continues to drive us. Today, we are growing with velocity and are focused on modernizing our experiences, not to make a different McDonald’s but to build a better McDonald’s.
The Restaurant Development Department is hiring a Senior Real Estate Manager (Eastern Canada), based in our Toronto or Montreal office. The role reports to the National Development Director.
This individual will partner with the Construction Manager within an assigned geographical area to optimize PLACE and to align goals with corporate strategies. Optimizing PLACE is defined as enhancing customer experience, convenience, and relevance by optimizing the marketplace through new site development and the existing real estate portfolio, while maximizing system profits, regional income and return on investment.
You will strive to make continuous improvements to the existing, growing real estate portfolio, which includes securing quality locations that will maximize income and return on investment.
Your primary objective will be contributing to the Development Plan, primarily in producing new, freestanding locations and leading deals through internal approvals, contractual negotiations, ground breaks, openings.
Key Customers include the Regional and National Leadership, Development Team, Owner Operators and Regional Staff.
Who You Are:
Are you passionate about the real estate business? Make an impact by utilizing your strong knowledge and creative thinking to grow an iconic global brand. Join our team to make your mark!
What’s in it for you?
This is an unparalleled opportunity to join a winning organization during an exciting time of transformational change. You will gain exposure across all levels of the organization, from your team members to the Executives and Franchisees. You are looking for a company with a winning culture where you can grow in depth and breadth while making a tangible impact on strategic initiatives.
In addition to following McDonald’s policies and procedures, principle accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Fosters the Team approach to Development within the region.
- Develop, maintain, and execute a comprehensive, strategic market plan for a defined territory and manage aggressive new store growth goals.
- Managing a defined territory that includes maintaining a strong market knowledge and an understanding of coverage gaps, opportunities, trends, projected home/work/shop growth, competition, and other factors that contribute to knowledgeable real estate decisions.
- Manage a team of Area Real Estate Managers to identify potential sites for new restaurant development.
- Identifying and acquiring real estate for freestanding locations, which requires effective negotiation skills and a strong network of brokers, developers, and other industry contacts.
- Negotiates terms and conditions of real estate agreements (up to the executed LOI) and if required, partners with the Real Estate Transaction Manager to optimize the site development and internal approval processes (e.g., financial analysis, Leadership approvals, development permits, zoning, etc.)
- Provides effective consulting and maintains effective working relationships with National & Regional leadership, Owner Operators, other McDonald departments, alliance partners and other outside organizations.
- Communicates and implements corporate policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with key customers to create, maintain and update the 3 Year Strategic Plan
- Vision Planning - Gathers and analyzes information on the potential of the market and each restaurant in assigned geographical area
- Assists with presentation of site packages to management for approval.
- Coordinates the presentation of development opportunities to Owner Operators/McOpCo
- Aligns goals and objectives with the Department, Regional, and Corporate strategies.
- Partners with the Area Construction Manager to prioritize development opportunities to ensure best use of capital (e.g., timing, funding and returns) within the region.
- Creates, and executes the development plan to meet portfolio returns and goals of the Development Team
- Ensures best location/best value for all real estate acquisitions
- 5-7 years Commercial Real Estate experience working with a prominent Quick-Service-Restaurant background in site selection and unit acquisition, combined with solid negotiation skills
- Ability to read and understand legal documents
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment with the ability to adjust quickly to change; multi-functional matrix organization experience is an asset
- Ability to lead a high performing team of Real Estate Professionals
- Collaborative and communication skills: Excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with management, staff, and external partners.
- Innovative problem-solving skills: Critical thinker and ability to escalate when assistance is needed in a timely manner.
- Project management experience: Organized with the ability to make critical decisions to execute project activities. Detail oriented with the ability to work independently, and with others in the context of a team.
- Technical skills: Advanced skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Bilingual French & English
McDonald’s Canada and Owner/Operators are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace for all. Our workplaces have a long-standing policy of providing fair, equitable, and accessible opportunities for all employees and prospective employees. Accommodations during the application process are available upon request.