Senior Manager - Data Support
McDonald’s new growth strategy, Accelerating the Arches, encompasses all aspects of our business as the leading global omni-channel restaurant brand. As the consumer landscape shifts we are using our competitive advantages to further strengthen our brand. One of our core growth strategies is to Double Down on the 3Ds (Delivery, Digital and Drive Thru). McDonald’s will accelerate technology innovation so 65M+ customers a day will experience a fast, easy experience, whether at one of our 25,000 and growing Drive Thrus, through McDelivery, dine-in or takeaway.
Leading this tech revolution is McDonald’s Global Technology organization made up of intrapreneurs who get to build really cool tech with scary smart people using the latest innovations like AI, IOT, and edge computing. We do this working along diverse, global teams who are always hungry for a challenge. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.
As we have matured as an engineering organization and seen the demands for technology grow exponentially, we’re gearing up to deliver on the next set of opportunities for the business. We are building up an engineering team in house accountable for our strategic products. We’ll have diverse squads made up of engineers with traditional and specialized skillsets, both from internal engineers coupled with our partners, to help us flex with demand and solve technology innovation challenges done at an incredible scale.
Check out the Global Technology Technical Blog to learn how technology is directly enabling the Accelerating the Arches strategy.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every single requirement!Job Description:
McDonald’s is hiring for a Data Support Manager role. This role will be responsible for the planning, technical management, and ultimately execution of operational production support and maintenance activities. This role requires technical hands-on work with systems, basic project & product management skills, and leadership skills.
You will work with Data Domain teams(Customer, Restaurant, Supply Chain, and Sales Transactions), to identify and implement reliability improvements across applications, infrastructure, and monitoring and remediation. There is a significant consultant team (~60 of onshore and offshore), and this role will work with a pool of people from that team, and those from several application enhancement teams.
This is a mix of a hands-on technology role, and a product/project execution role. Success in this role requires software engineering experience - preferred, though not required, is some work with cloud technologies.
What you will be doing:
- Collaborating with data architecture, data management, and data domain teams.
- Looking at: major incidents, statistics on run utilization, and service requests, to identify reliability and quality improvement opportunities.
- Collaborating with other teams, while maintaining a longer-term, engineering oriented view on improvements.
- Contributing to the improved operations of an extremely sophisticated data ecosystem, including 35+ applications, and 70M+ daily transactions across critical domains including Customer, Restaurant, Supply Chain, and Sales
- Ensuring the feedback loop remains tight, between any incidents, and five-why’s root cause improvements on how to prevent them from reoccurring
- Driving Operational Data Quality (DQ) efforts - including bridging operations, DQ checks, and roles & responsibilities for product teams vs. incident response.
- Bringing SRE (Service/Site Reliability engineering) concepts to life, for Data & Analytics services and platform.
- Leading initiatives to integrate AIOps, MLOps, and other Machine Learning powered sophisticated methodologies into the platform
- Leading structural upgrades in the overall way our systems operate, across monitoring, maintenance, automation & architectural changes. This work is done in partnership with other teams doing aspects of tool & application building.
- Driving engineering improvements and automation, creating an automation-first SRE/DevOps culture
- Maintaining relationships with external customers and coach your team to manage stakeholder & customer needs.
- The team’s responsibilities, that you will be contribute to, as a tech lead, include:
- Continuously focus on improving processes by recognizing patterns, identifying problems and recommending changes.
- Troubleshoot and resolve escalations from users; communicate technical product issues, needs and solutions to Product Development teams
- Providing an escalation point for customers and executives for any production issues.
- Integrate increasingly sophisticated advanced analytics capabilitiesinto our data response paradigm.
- Several years relevant work experience in a technical role - such as data engineering, applications engineering, or engineering support
- Ability to think structurally on engineering upgrades - able to engage, challenge, and constructively elevate the thinking of your team
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related degree
- You must be sensitive to customer needs, be able to manage process, and have the engineering background to help champion structural improvements
- While this role is not part of a 24x7 shift rotation, you are expected to intermittently join calls at off-hours, if something urgent or unexpected occurs in production, for an area you are engaged with
- Able to perform in high pressure situations, with reasonable ‘client hands’ - our team serves the needs of the core of McDonald’s global data, and analytics platform capabilities
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to focus on details as well as the big picture.
- Curious, task-oriented and a self-starter with a strong bias for action; Proven track record of "getting things done".
- Experience with AWS ecosystem preferred, though not required. Components of overall technology stack include: S3, Talend, Python, Redshift, Tableau, Databrick.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.