Senior Director, Experience Design
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
From drive thru updates to delivery to mobile order and pay, we are innovating quickly and growing. Joining McDonald's means thinking big and preparing for a career that can have influence around the world.
At McDonald’s, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer a broad range of outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements - check them out here!
We are enjoying the flexibility of a hybrid work model, in which employees spend part of their week connecting with co-workers in our state-of-the-art headquarters. Located in the booming West Loop of downtown Chicago, it's set up to be a global hub that cultivates collaboration:
- Take a class at Hamburger University
- Sample future items in our Test Kitchen
- Utilize the latest technology to connect with your team around the globe
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every single requirement!Job Description:
We have built a Customer Experience team to work in partnership with Global Technology in developing and deploying smart digital investments that improve experiences for our customers and drive visits, sales and cash flow for the system. Our collective vision is to make digital experiences more personal, more convenient and better value for our customers with an agile 'test, learn and improve' mindset. The role of the Customer Experience is to set the overall digital strategy and define end-to-end customer solutions across ordering, payment, personalization, loyalty, and delivery. Together with Global Technology, we identify the most meaningful opportunities for our customers and our business, and we bring them to life through industry-changing products like Mobile Order Ahead and McDelivery. In addition to setting the overall digital vision and strategy, we help markets to accelerate opportunities, consolidate lessons to share across markets, measure progress and drive continuous improvement and enhancements to the McDonald’s customer experience.
We are seeking a world-class customer experience leader to serve as Sr. Director, Experience Design to own experience design research, service design, UI/UX design, and digital accessibility. You will help frame and drive the McDonald’s digital customer experiences across Rewards, Delivery, Mobile Ordering, Payments, Offers & more. The ideal candidate is a customer-obsessed, outcome-oriented CX and design visionary who can lead and inspire cross-functional teams to design exceptional products and experiences that customers love and that win for the business.
In this role, you and your team will be responsible for understanding the customer journeys across all key occasions globally, translating the "voice of the customer" into an overall experience strategy, and evolving our design language beyond screens into exceptional experience for customers and crew. You will be a collaborative, omnichannel experience champion who puts the customer first, and works closely with peers to deliver a seamless, consistent and holistic customer experience across all touchpoints that are blended between digital (e.g. Kiosk, Drive-Thru, Mobile App, Web) and physical. You will have strong skills in design thinking, able to both facilitate and teach others the art of truly seeking to understand the needs and pain points of our customers.
Specifically, you will own experience design research, digital usability and accessibility, digital design language and standards, testing (both physical and digital) in support of experience evolution, service design blueprints, VOC feedback, and various other duties in support of creating end-to-end customer experiences - as part of a cross-functional effort that involves the Customer Experience Product team and members of Global Tech as key contributors. You and your team will collaborate with a significant set of stakeholders around the world, and will be missionaries who bring our markets along as partners in the McDonald’s digital ambition. You will work collaboratively with Product and Engineering, inspiring them with design-led visions, clear and aligned objectives, and by creating a customer obsessive culture. This role will report directly to the Vice President, Digital Product & Experience.
- Own and drive end-to-end customer experience strategy driven off of customer insight and
- Ensure customer experience product roadmaps (e.g., Loyalty, Payments) align to build a seamless end-to-end experience for customer and crew
- Own final decisions on usability, accessibility, and design across channels; act as key activist for customer centricity
- Coordinate closely with key stakeholders, including product and Customer Experience leadership counterparts, market leaders, and cross-functional strategists to ensure priorities and feature requests are clearly understood
- Drive discovery and play key role in delivery with Global Technology development lead counterparts
- Facilitate and lead design thinking sessions, and train others to facilitate them globally in-market
- Analyze VOC and customer response to the various customer journeys, report on KPIs and continuously evolve usability to open our doors to everyone
- Oversee feedback drive all UX design decisions, wireframe, and final assets with internal and agency resources
- Represent the customer, both internal and external, and ensure the Product team understands priorities and needs for both customer and crew
- Manage a team of highly driven research and design team members, each responsible for a specific disciplines (Accessibility, UI/UX Design, Testing, Research, Operations, and Service Design.
Key Proficiencies include:
- Passionate, customer-obsessed leader looking to transform the business, who truly enjoys working with a team to design and help deliver great products
- Leader and activist in agile development with comfort overseeing multiple design resources (both agency and internal)
- Exceptional design evangelist, with experience dealing with diverse and global stakeholders
- Fluent in experience design, including UI design systems, design-oriented research and testing methodologies, accessibility, and service design
- Deep experience with agile methodology and design approach, plus experience driving agile transformation in a large organization with complex stakeholders
- Expertise in best-in-class design toolsets, and how to integrate them at scale across different product teams, geographies, etc.
- Ability to influence senior leaders and cross-functional stakeholders in collectively aligning and executing against the product vision
- Skilled in design thinking principles and techniques, and a passionate advocate for applying them appropriately in discovery
- Capable of finding product solutions that customers love, in a business that has complex operational and service delivery considerations
- Knowledge and familiarity with Product Management, development lifecyles, and customer experience platform technology systems/specifications (e.g., SessionM, Adobe, Adyen, c360, etc.) and interdependencies
- Passion for the McDonald’s customer and crew, and ability to ensure their needs are translated into a compelling experience
- Good sense of curiosity with genuine desire to learn and think with agility - identifying patterns/trends and applying them in new and unfamiliar situations
- Confident working in a fast-moving environment, with a willingness to make quick decisions based on continuous prioritization and evolving customer needs
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 10-12+ years in CX or Design experience
- 8+ years of managerial experience leading cross-functional teams and projects
- Experience at a consumer/retail company preferred
- Must be fully vaccinated (i.e., at least 2 weeks after last dose) for COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination by start date.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.