Senior Acquisitions Surveyor
McDonald's is the largest family restaurant in the world, serving approximately 69 million customers across 36,000 restaurants a day: in more than 100 countries. The UK & Ireland market is one of the most successful entities across the wider business, serving on average 4 million people a day. It has operated in UK since 1974 and the business is growing continuously with more than 1,400 restaurants and over 154,000 employees.
McDonald’s UK & Ireland has a proven track record of investing in the development of its employees and offering flexibility as part of its dedication to being a modern and progressive company. Every year, it invests over £40 million in developing people, giving every one of its employees the opportunity to take part in structured training.
McDonald’s buys ingredients from over 17,500 British and Irish farmers and spends over £1.1billion annually on its food and packaging requirements. McDonald’s is committed to supporting British and Irish farmers to ensure it can continue to source many of its ingredients from the UK and Ireland.
McDonald’s is a market leader in its field, striving for the highest standard of quality, speed and restaurant experience. Re-generation of our restaurant infrastructure, covering digital ordering, re-imaging and dual-point service make working at McDonald’s more exciting than ever!
We are dedicated to using our scale for good: good for people, our industry and the planet. From bold recycling initiatives and sustainable sourcing efforts to our partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities, we see every day as a chance to have a genuine impact on our customers, our people and our partners.
We're a people business just as much as we are a restaurant business. We strive to be the most inclusive brand in the world by building diverse teams who create delicious, feel-good moments that are easy for everyone to enjoy. Joining McDonald's means thinking big every day and preparing for a career that can have impact around the world.
Company Vision and Culture
Our Global vision is to build a better McDonald’s and, in the UK, and Ireland we are working hard to be the UK & Irelands best-loved restaurant company.
McDonald’s is defined by its culture. Our culture shapes and informs everything we think and everything we do. Our culture influences the way we interact with each other, and how we interact with customers, franchisees and suppliers. Our culture motivates and inspires us to attract and retain great talent, creating positive, energising, exceptional working environment for us all.
Our values drive our culture and shape our beliefs, our priorities and our actions. They influence the decisions we make, how we treat one another and how we show up as a brand to the world.
Serve: We put our customers and our people first
Inclusion: We open our doors to everyone
Integrity: We do the right thing
Community: We are good neighbours
Family: We get better togetherJob Description:
We need an experienced surveyor to lead the acquisition of new restaurants, predominantly drive thru’s, in a specific region in the midlands/north. You will oversee the entire acquisition process of both freehold and leasehold sites.
What will my accountabilities be?
- Responsible for the delivery of the new restaurant openings and future pipeline sites for the allotted region;
- In a timely manner
- On budget
- In line with expected sales and ROI
- With acceptable deal terms and planning permissions/conditions
- Optimise the site development and site selection processes
- Ensures quality control standards for real estate transactions (cost, deliverability, time, location, economics, market needs, planning and deal quality etc.)
- Ensures the best location/best value for all real estate acquisitions
- Communicates and implements corporate policies and procedures
- Externally and internally promotes a professional image of the department.
- Provide and present reports in line with company procedure for approval of sites at Senior Executive Level
- To fully research the local property market and develop and maintain contact with key agents, developers and local authorities to identify all potential opportunities
- To identify and bring forward appropriate sites and to:
- Secure Ops support.
- Negotiate acceptable and beneficial acquisitions terms.
- Agree sales levels with operations and finance based upon site criteria, sales assessment models and benchmarking against existing stores performance.
- Liaise with the project manager and architect who will provide the site specific design and costs to ensure optimal provisions.
- To prepare financial appraisals taking into account trading performance and the impact of the acquisition on the existing estate. Based on this a full business case for all proposals is to be prepared, including an assessment of the quality of the opportunity, town profile, sales assessment, benchmarks, key risks and opportunities.
- To prepare and present acquisition papers, both pre-read and final approval, in line with agreed standards, to the Senior Executive board.
- To negotiate contracts in line with company best practice, ensuring we secure sites without compromising the quality of our operating, physical and financial asset, with maximum flexibility on timings.
- To work with the project manager and planning consultants to secure the requisite planning consent together with any appropriate planning agreements.
- To ensure a timely handover of the site (or completed shell development) to the project manager and lead legal and statutory progress to opening.
- To ensure that all outstanding planning and contractual matters are completed satisfactorily, before handing over to the relevant estate manager.
- To review the performance of projects post-completion with the Head of Acquisitions, VP Development and VP Finance. Use findings to further improve the identification, development appraisal, approval and implementation of future schemes.
- To be fully aware of direct (and indirect) competitor activity in the property market, and apply any learnings to sourcing sites for McDonald’s.
- To build confidence and credibility, both individually and for the acquisitions team, to provide impact and influence over internal colleagues, as well as creating an extensive network externally.
- Other duties as advised from time to time
What Team will I be a part?
You will be part of the Acquisitions Team, forming part of the wider Real Estate Department along with Construction and Estates Management. Location is flexible although good knowledge of your region is crucial and regular travel within that region for site visits and elsewhere for internal/external meetings is crucial.
Who are my customers?
- The Senior Acquisitions Manager - Central and the wider acquisitions team
- You will work collaboratively with other internal functions including Construction, Finance, Legal, Operations and Estates Management
- You will present sites to the Exec for approval and sign off on a regular basis
- Externally you will maintain relationships with agents, consultants, local authorities, vendors and other third parties throughout the acquisition and development process
- Consistent track record in acquisitions and/or development, preferably in the retail and leisure market (ideally)
- Chartered Surveyor (General Practice) with post qualification experience
- Broad knowledge of landlord and tenant, planning, property and contract law, procurement, finance, construction and the acquisitions and development process (crucial)
- A proactive approach to problem solving with an ability to think strategically in order to make sound judgements based upon knowledge and experience. (Essential)
- Demonstrates the company’s core values and a commitment to providing excellent customer service (crucial)
- A proven track record to communicate effectively at all levels in order to co-ordinate and lead internal relationships from the very top to the very bottom and external parties including agents, land owners, solicitors, local and statutory authorities, architects, planning consultants and project managers (crucial)
- Strong Negotiation skills
- Strong market knowledge including competitor activity, deals and market planning
- Strong network of contacts in the wider property environment
- Strong commercial business and operations knowledge
- Be a great team mate with the knowledge and passionate about leading
- A pragmatic and common sense approach is crucial whilst being able to work under pressure and prioritise effectively
At McDonald’s we are People from all Walks of Life...
People are at the heart of everything we do, and they make the McDonald’s experience. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture that means people can be their best authentic self in our restaurants and offices, which helps us to better serve our customers. We have a strong heritage of diversity and representation within our communities, which we are proud of. The diversity of our people, customers, Franchisees and suppliers gives us strength.
We do not tolerate inequality, injustice or discrimination of any kind. These are hugely important issues and a brand with our reach and relevance means we have a very meaningful role to play.
We also recognise our responsibility as a large employer to continue being active in our communities, helping to develop skills and drive aspirations that will help people to be more aware of the world of work and more successful within it, whether with McDonald’s or elsewhere."
Job Status: Full Time
Req ID: REF5847Q_743999961872462