Real Estate Manager (Asset Management, Capacity 2 year Contract)
At McDonald's, we are committed to being the best, and that starts with finding the best people. We have built a team of extraordinary people from around the world. We are problem solvers, risk takers, innovators, and thought leaders that take our work seriously, but have fun doing it. We challenge ourselves to get smarter and sharper every day, we value personal and professional growth, and believe in rewarding and celebrating our successes.Job Description:
Position title: Real Estate Manager (Asset Management, Capacity)
Department: Restaurant Development
Reports to: Senior National Asset Manager
Type of position: Full-Time, 2 year-contract
Location: Toronto, Ontario
How would you like to work for the #1 quick service restaurant operation in the world? We currently have an open position for a Real Estate Manager (Asset Management - Capacity), in the Real Estate Asset Management Department in the Toronto office. This role is part of a National Team and will be working on the Capacity portfolio, reporting to the Senior Manager of Asset Management in Toronto. The successful candidate will be accountable to optimize their Real Estate portfolio for all early Lease renewals and Lease renegotiations for McDonald’s national Capacity projects.
Capacity is a national strategy to significantly renovate our restaurants: that enables production for growth as we continue to innovate and add capabilities; to create the right working environment to allow our people in the restaurants to excel; to provide an elevated guest experience across all channels, adding Digital to our DNA; and maintains our competitive edge and provide a seamless guest experience.
The successful candidate will partner with Property Management, Reinvestment, Legal, Construction, Field Service, and Owner/Operators (franchisees).
Who You Are
You are passionate about the real estate business and have the leadership abilities to build strong relationships and work collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external parties. You love to tackle problems and can think critically to make the right decisions. You have strong organizational and planning skills to move the company forward and make an impact on strategic initiatives. You are a change agent, with strong communication skills who can effectively support our system in a fast paced and agile environment.
What’s in it for you?
This is an unparalleled opportunity to join a growing organization during an exciting time of transformational change. You will gain exposure across all levels of the organization, from your team members to the Executives and Franchisees. You are looking for a company with a winning culture where you can grow in depth and breadth while making a tangible impact on central initiatives.
Principal Accountabilities: In addition to following McDonald’s policies and procedures, principal accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Negotiating, managing and tracking all lease renewal activities for their assigned sites, which include: preparation of data for lease extension analysis from regional finance; exercising options to renew on time; negotiating new rents and extended term, working with legal on agreements.
- Property Management Issues: working with National Property Manager on maintenance issues; operating costs disputes; estoppel/status certificates; Landlord approvals and leasing issues, prompted by early lease renewal negotiations or lease re-negotiations required to fulfill our Capacity requirements.
- Working directly with Restaurant Development Staff in the co-ordination of all renovation projects; and site plan approvals for renovations and additions. Lead all aspects of securing of early renewals, additional tenure; landlord and municipal approvals.
- Day to Day accountability and support of Lease System (Tririga).
- Provide accurate and prompt responses to internal partners on term for conditions of sale; Franchisee rewrites; Work directly with internal and external Legal to manage and negotiate all expropriations/condemnations with municipalities/expropriating authorities and follow-up to ensure maximum compensation is received and future rights are preserved.
- Review all public notices that impact the use and underlying value and rights associated with portfolio, and partner with Legal and Government Relations as required to address issues to the benefit of the location or system as the case may be.
- Ensure required lease reviews are conducted for any special projects.
- Minimum 5 years of Commercial Leasing and Asset Management experience
- Strong understanding of property valuation process & principles and their application in order to negotiate renewal terms and rents.
- Applied real estate principles and development principles
- Legal drafting skills to be able to draft proposals and review legal documents
- Strong understanding and ability to apply real estate law and planning
- Strong working knowledge of MS word, excel, access, power point and other proprietary software and systems.
McDonald’s Canada and Owner/Operators are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace for all. Our workplaces have a long-standing policy of providing fair, equitable, and accessible opportunities for all employees and prospective employees. Accommodations during the application process are available upon request.