Product Engineering Manager, Mobile
McDonald’s new growth strategy, Accelerating the Arches, encompasses all aspects of our business as the leading global omni-channel restaurant brand. As the consumer landscape shifts we are using our competitive advantages to further strengthen our brand. One of our core growth strategies is to Double Down on the 3Ds (Delivery, Digital and Drive Thru). McDonald’s will accelerate technology innovation so 65M+ customers a day will experience a fast, easy experience, whether at one of our 25,000 and growing Drive Thrus, through McDelivery, dine-in or takeaway.
Leading this tech revolution is McDonald’s Global Technology organization made up of intrapreneurs who get to build really cool tech with scary smart people using the latest innovations like AI, IOT, and edge computing. We do this working along diverse, global teams who are always hungry for a challenge. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.
As we have matured as an engineering organization and seen the demands for technology grow exponentially, we’re gearing up to deliver on the next set of opportunities for the business. We are building up an engineering team in house accountable for our strategic products. We’ll have diverse squads made up of engineers with traditional and specialized skillsets, both from internal engineers coupled with our partners, to help us flex with demand and solve technology innovation challenges done at an incredible scale.
About McDonald’s Global Product Engineering Team
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries and billions of customers each year. More and more of our customers are interacting with McDonald’s through Digital channels, including our Mobile Apps and In-Store Kiosks. The McDonald’s Global Product Engineering Team is responsible for driving digital innovation inside and outside of our restaurants. We identify the most meaningful opportunities for our customers and our business, and we bring them to life through industry-changing products like Mobile Ordering and McDelivery.
The Product Engineering Manager is responsible for leading the engineering teams delivering new features and platform capabilities for our global mobile applications. They are an integrated part of the product team and collaborate with Product Managers and UX Designers at every stage of the product development lifecycle-from prototyping new feature ideas to leading technical solution design and execution.
Product Engineering Managers are indispensable technical partners to product and design teams, leveraging their software industry experience and extensive knowledge of iOS and Android platform best practices to solve product challenges with creative applications of technology. They help to validate and ensure feasibility for new product or design ideas, apply the latest platform APIs and design patterns to create scalable, adaptable technical solutions, and lead the engineering squad through the Agile software development lifecycle.
This role is based at our McDonald’s Global Headquarters in Chicago, IL.
- Lead a mobile engineering team of iOS, Android, and backend web developers to craft best-in-class mobile customer experiences and high-quality software deliverables.
- Partner with Product Managers to solve business and customer challenges with creative applications of mobile technology, including high-level solution design and estimation.
- Collaborate with UX Designers to deliver usable, delightful customer experiences that leverage the state of the art in iOS and Android UI best practices and frameworks.
- Work closely with Architects to create technical solutions that adhere to platform design patterns and ensure the scalability and maintainability of our code.
- Set quality and scalability metrics for your product area and the broader mobile platform, including testability, code coverage, and deployment cycle time.
- Manage the development scrum team in sprint ceremonies, inform the product roadmap with backlog dependencies and sprint velocity, and sign off on technical deliverables alongside Product Managers.
- 3-5 years of experience as a mobile developer, engineering manager, or technical product manager working on native mobile apps.
- Experience working in an Agile-Scrum development team. Experience with Scaled Agile within an enterprise matrixed organization a plus.
- Extensive knowledge of mobile software design patterns and highly scalable architectures for mobile applications.
- Deep knowledge of iOS and Android platform capabilities and SDKs, as well as a curiosity toward emerging technologies.
- Good understanding of user experience concepts for mobile, including UI frameworks and accessibility. Experience with internationalization for a globally localized application a plus.
- Experience with code review, CI/CD test, build, and release processes for mobile apps, and a working understanding of backend architecture and systems.
- Must be passionate about technology and a strong point of view about the best ways to create products that customers love to use.
- Uncompromising attention to detail.
- Superior interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Experience leading multiple complex, cross-functional projects in parallel.
- Curious, task-oriented, and a self-starter, with a proven track record of "getting things done."
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact email@example.com
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.