At McDonald's, we are committed to being the best, and that starts with finding the best people. We have built a team of extraordinary people from around the world. We are problem solvers, risk takers, innovators, and thought leaders that take our work seriously, but have fun doing it. We challenge ourselves to get smarter and sharper every day, we value personal and professional growth, and believe in rewarding and celebrating our successes.Job Description:
Position title: Payroll Consultant
Department: National People Resources
Position band: Supervisory/Consultant - Global Grade 3
Reports to: Total Rewards Manager
Type of position: Full-time
McDonald’s Canada has a growth opportunity for a Payroll Consultant. Reporting to the Manager, Total Rewards, you will be a key member of the Toronto-based team, working in tandem with specialists in our regional offices in Canada and our global office in Chicago.
You will shape and govern payroll process for Canadian employees. In addition to providing support on the HCM/Payroll system. This is an opportunity for someone who wants to be part of an organization that truly understands the value of EVP and the role that payroll and total rewards plays in the employee experience.
Who you are
You are a Payroll professional with 4 or more years of experience. You want to apply your expertise in payroll on a national scale. You are a change agent and a strategic communicator who can effectively support evolution in payroll processes for the system. You are looking for a company with a winning culture where you can grow in depth and breadth while making a tangible impact on strategic initiatives.
- Working with our Global Business Services (GBS) teams, support changes and resolve issues arising in Payroll functional area.
- Collaborating with the Finance team and GBS payroll team on the reconciliation of payroll accounts to the general ledger, severance reconciliations, G&A reviews, Intercompany charges
- Working with GBS, review tax filings, such as the T4 slips, as well as other required reports. Maintain rigorous control standards.
- Participate in routine and non-routine quarter and year-end payroll tasks, including analysis and review.
- Work collaboratively with members of the GBS, Human Resources and Finance and tax teams to ensure the smooth operation and recordkeeping of payroll processes and systems and review and provide recommendations to streamline or update processes as needed.
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations: Proactively keep up to date with Canadian employment and payroll tax laws and trends to ensure that payroll processes comply with all regulations.
- Research, analyze, and proactively engage with government bodies or advisors on payroll-related questions to support decision making and improve processes.
- Act as one of the primary contacts for legislative/governmental bodies for external payroll-related questions.
- Work with GBS to prioritize accurate recordkeeping including employee changes to compensation and benefits.
- Liaise regularly with other departments including Finance, Tax and Human Resources, respond to a variety of internal and/or external requests related to payroll, and provide support for internal/external audit requests or questions.
- Provide support, guidance, and training to colleagues on the HCM/Payroll system as well as payroll legislation.
- Maintain absolute confidentiality in all payroll and human resources related matters. Handle individual employee inquiries with respect and professionalism.
- Support Human Capital Management (HCM) areas in Oracle from a Canadian perspective, ex: People groups, Jobs, Positions, Locations, reporting, access.
- Test, validate and help to implement Business Process changes in Oracle as they relate to Canadian changes/updates within the system.
- Participate in Payroll and/or Finance/HR projects and IT software implementation projects.
- Generate and distribute routine and non-routine required documents, reports, and analyses for various departments.
- Education: Post-secondary education in Accounting, Human Resources and/or a related field. PCP or PLP designation is an asset.
- Experience: Demonstrated experience with payroll analysis with knowledge of ESA, payroll legislation, HCM/payroll systems, payroll policies, practices, and procedures
- Technology: Strong Microsoft Office skills, with a focus on Excel modeling and spreadsheets
- Team player: Collaborative and communication skills with a consultative approach that engages stakeholders in a collaborative manner. Very strong customer focus with keen attention to detail and ability to translate requirements into action.
- Problem-solver: Highly analytical in approach to developing recommendations, collecting, extracting, analyzing, and manipulating large data sets. Ability to provide both commercial and creative solutions to local payroll requirements.
- Interpersonal skills: Excellent written, oral and presentation skills. Ability to present and communicate information and recommendations based on target audience. French language skills would be a definite asset.
- Project management: Excellent time management skills, with the ability to organize, prioritize and meet both known and ad-hoc deadlines.
McDonald’s Canada and Owner/Operators are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace for all. Our workplaces have a long-standing policy of providing fair, equitable, and accessible opportunities for all employees and prospective employees. Accommodations during the application process are available upon request.