Manager, Media Relations
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
From drive thru updates to delivery to mobile order and pay, we are innovating quickly and growing. Joining McDonald's means thinking big and preparing for a career that can have influence around the world.
At McDonald’s, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer a broad range of outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements - check them out here!
While most of us are working remote during COVID-19, we're excited to get back to our state-of-the-art headquarters in the booming West Loop of downtown Chicago! It's set up to be a global hub that cultivates collaboration:
- Take a class at Hamburger University
- Sample future items in our Test Kitchen
- Utilize the latest technology to connect with your team around the globe
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every single requirement!Job Description:
McDonald's Global Impact team is aligned around a vision to make McDonald’s famous for our positive impact on people and the planet. The North American Impact team includes Communications, Government Relations, Sustainability & ESG, and Philanthropy. Read more about McDonald’s Purpose & Impact here.
We’re looking for a Media Relations Manager to drive earned media strategy for the US market. This person will be critical in translating the US business narrative and strategic priorities in a clear, compelling way for media - ultimately driving brand affinity and trust.
This position will be based in Chicago and report directly to the Director, US Field Communications & PR. You will be a member of the broader North American Impact team.
In this role, you will:
- Lead national media relations strategy and execution across key US business/operations, marketing, community and people initiatives.
- Use data and knowledge of the earned media landscape to develop creative approaches to reach key audiences.
- Draft and review materials including critical communications plans, pitches, press releases, statements, Q&A and more.
- Drive high-impact thought leadership opportunities for McDonald’s US C-Suite, including pitching/securing interviews, developing narratives and briefing executives.
- Triage and handle media issues and crises impacting the US business.
- Partner with the Field Communications team to ensure McDonald’s national priorities and narrative are cascaded locally in all 10 Field Offices.
- In partnership with Global Media Relations, serve as a media relations subject matter expert for the Communications team and other functional partners.
- Build and strengthen reporter relationships on behalf of the brand.
- Constantly mine for potential news angles and data to support opportunistic storytelling.
- Work with the Measurement & Insights team to refine analytics and reporting for earned media coverage.
Must be fully vaccinated (i.e., at least 2 weeks after last dose) for COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination by start date.
- BA/BS degree required
- Natural storyteller with excellent speaking, writing and editing skills
- Ability to navigate, orchestrate and work through sophisticated issues with a strategic lens
- Strong experience and knowledge of the earned media landscape
- Adept at navigating media issues and crises for large brands
- Strong business knowledge with a demonstrated ability to understand business strategy and how to use communications as a mechanism to drive that strategy
- Proven leadership and ability to influence and work with Sr. Leadership and multi-disciplined teams
- On the record media relations experience & experience managing agencies is a plus
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.