Local Impact Media Officer
McDonald's is the largest family restaurant in the world, serving approximately 69 million customers across 36,000 restaurants a day; in more than 100 countries. The UK & Ireland market is one of the most successful entities across the wider business, serving on average 4 million people a day. It has operated in UK since 1974 and the business is growing continuously with more than 1,400 restaurants and over 154,000 employees.
McDonald’s UK & Ireland has a proven track record of investing in the development of its employees and offering flexibility as part of its dedication to being a modern and progressive company. Every year, it invests over £40 million in developing people, giving every one of its employees the opportunity to take part in structured training.
McDonald’s buys ingredients from over 17,500 British and Irish farmers and spends over £1.1billion annually on its food and packaging requirements. McDonald’s is committed to supporting British and Irish farmers to ensure it can continue to source many of its ingredients from the UK and Ireland.
McDonald’s is a market leader in its field, striving for the highest standard of quality, speed and restaurant experience. Re-generation of our restaurant infrastructure, covering digital ordering, re-imaging and dual-point service make working at McDonald’s more exciting than ever!
We are dedicated to using our scale for good: good for people, our industry and the planet. From bold recycling initiatives and sustainable sourcing efforts to our partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities, we see every day as a chance to have a genuine impact on our customers, our people and our partners.
We're a people business just as much as we are a restaurant business. We strive to be the most inclusive brand in the world by building diverse teams who create delicious, feel-good moments that are easy for everyone to enjoy. Joining McDonald's means thinking big every day and preparing for a career that can have impact around the world.
Company Vision and Culture
Our Global vision is to build a better McDonald’s and, in the UK, and Ireland we are working hard to be the UK & Irelands best-loved restaurant company.
McDonald’s is defined by its culture. Our culture shapes and informs everything we think and everything we do. Our culture influences the way we interact with each other, and how we interact with customers, franchisees and suppliers. Our culture motivates and inspires us to attract and retain great talent, creating positive, energising, exceptional working environment for us all.
Our values drive our culture and shape our beliefs, our priorities and our actions. They influence the decisions we make, how we treat one another and how we show up as a brand to the world.
Serve: We put our customers and our people first
Inclusion: We open our doors to everyone
Integrity: We do the right thing
Community: We are good neighbours
Family: We get better togetherJob Description:
This role is based in our East Finchley office working 3 days in the office and 2 days remotely.
We are looking for a superstar media handler. Someone who is as comfortable at handling local press office issues as pitching proactive stories to local media. You will have excellent understanding of the regional media landscape, and be able to prioritise publications and stories that align with our broader communications plan across arrange of topic areas from our community story through to business announcements. You will have a solid understanding of franchising and the opportunities that presents to us to have a voice at a local level. You will need to work quickly and smartly to manage multiple opportunities at once. The successful candidate will show a passion and understanding for local media and influencers - from press to TV to radio and social - and position themselves as THE go-to expert in the team. You will work closely with an agency and they will be an extension of this part of the team to deliver local media results - you will help them prioritise and deliver against some clear objectives.
What will my accountabilities be?
- Proactive and reactive first point of contact for local media engagement
- Work with Red to develop and execute local media opportunities in the regions. Balancing franchisee priorities with the overall business priorities. A blend of corporate and consumer moments, aligned with our overall business plan
- Seek out and secure proactive media opportunities to tell our story at a local level - working with franchisees and restaurants to deliver these with a local voice
- Manage franchisee expectations around media engagement - focussing on those opportunities that will have the biggest impact
- Support franchisees with media engagement - providing media training where necessary
- Review the development of regional media materials by Red
- Build strong contacts across key regional titles - with a strategy in place to engage
- Track and share monthly highlights based on Gorkana
- Support VPs North and South with media engagement locally
- Out of hours Press Office support
What Team will I be a part?
This role is part of the Communications and Corporate Affairs team.
Who are my customers?
- The wider department: reporting into Senior Strategic Communications Manager and alongside the Senior Corporate Communications Officer, and the wider comms team
- Internal audiences: working with a range of departments across the business including Legal, Finance, Supply Chain, People, Marketing, Franchising
- External audiences: media, consumers and stakeholders
What background do I need to have?
- A desire to learn
- The ability to synthesize information quickly
- Strong understanding of all forms of local media
- Adapt quickly and easily to new or changing conditions
- Demonstrate a genuine desire and capacity to understand and relate to others
At McDonald’s we are People from all Walks of Life...
People are at the heart of everything we do and they make the McDonald’s experience. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture that means people can be their best authentic self in our restaurants and offices, which helps us to better serve our customers.
We have a strong heritage of diversity and representation within our communities, which we are proud of. The diversity of our people, customers, Franchisees and suppliers gives us strength.
We do not tolerate inequality, injustice or discrimination of any kind. These are hugely important issues and a brand with our reach and relevance means we have a very meaningful role to play.
We also recognise our responsibility as a large employer to continue being active in our communities, helping to develop skills and drive aspirations that will help people to be more aware of the world of work and more successful within it, whether with McDonald’s or elsewhere.
Job Status: Full Time
Req ID: REF4548E_743999930210707
- Public Relations