Legal Counsel - Real Estate
McDonald's is the largest family restaurant in the world, serving approximately 69 million customers across 36,000 restaurants a day: in more than 100 countries. The UK & Ireland market is one of the most successful entities across the wider business, serving on average 4 million people a day. It has operated in UK since 1974 and the business is growing continuously with more than 1,400 restaurants and over 154,000 employees.
McDonald’s UK & Ireland has a proven track record of investing in the development of its employees and offering flexibility as part of its dedication to being a modern and progressive company. Every year, it invests over £40 million in developing people, giving every one of its employees the opportunity to take part in structured training.
McDonald’s buys ingredients from over 17,500 British and Irish farmers and spends over £1.1billion annually on its food and packaging requirements. McDonald’s is committed to supporting British and Irish farmers to ensure it can continue to source many of its ingredients from the UK and Ireland.
McDonald’s is a market leader in its field, striving for the highest standard of quality, speed and restaurant experience. Re-generation of our restaurant infrastructure, covering digital ordering, re-imaging and dual-point service make working at McDonald’s more exciting than ever!
We are dedicated to using our scale for good: good for people, our industry and the planet. From bold recycling initiatives and sustainable sourcing efforts to our partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities, we see every day as a chance to have a genuine impact on our customers, our people and our partners.
We're a people business just as much as we are a restaurant business. We strive to be the most inclusive brand in the world by building diverse teams who create delicious, feel-good moments that are easy for everyone to enjoy. Joining McDonald's means thinking big every day and preparing for a career that can have impact around the world.
Company Vision and Culture
Our Global vision is to build a better McDonald’s and, in the UK, and Ireland we are working hard to be the UK & Irelands best-loved restaurant company.
McDonald’s is defined by its culture. Our culture shapes and informs everything we think and everything we do. Our culture influences the way we interact with each other, and how we interact with customers, franchisees and suppliers. Our culture motivates and inspires us to attract and retain great talent, creating positive, energising, exceptional working environment for us all.
Our values drive our culture and shape our beliefs, our priorities and our actions. They influence the decisions we make, how we treat one another and how we show up as a brand to the world.
Serve: We put our customers and our people first
Inclusion: We open our doors to everyone
Integrity: We do the right thing
Community: We are good neighbours
Family: We get better togetherJob Description:
McDonald’s is looking to recruit a highly motivated, proactive and effective real estate lawyer to join a dynamic and focussed inhouse Legal team known for having a friendly and supportive culture and wide-ranging and interesting workload.
The role involves advising the McDonald’s Acquisition, Construction and Estates teams, which are highly acquisitive and which are looking to acquire, develop and open a significant number of new restaurants in the next few years. There are opportunities to undertake both transactional work (acting on the acquisition of new restaurant sites) as well as supervising and assessing external counsel on transactions, by applying oversight to acquisition transactions and developing and implementing appropriate values, policies and procedures affecting these.
What will my accountabilities be?
The role will report into Head of Real Estate Practice and will involve the following:
- Undertaking acquisition transactional work and providing legal advice to the business on all matters connected with new restaurant acquisitions
- Supervising and supporting external lawyers on acquisition transactions, and working closely with acquisition surveyors and other members of the Legal team
- Helping the Legal and Development teams achieve targets for new store openings and transactional acquisition work
- Providing day to day advice to colleagues in the Acquisitions, Estates and Construction teams on a variety of queries, both general and transactional
- Working closely with external specialist planning and construction lawyers as appropriate
- Monitoring and reviewing best practice, standard documents, policies and precedents used on acquisitions
- Compliance advice and support, applying McDonald’s global legal policies
- Providing training on real estate legal matters to Real Estate colleagues and others
- Identifying and communicating risks consistent with the both the risk appetite of the business and the legal department and advising accordingly
- Helping to develop the legal skills of more junior members of the team
- Proactively identifying market trends and regulatory changes to improve company policies and procedures, develop communication and training programmes and ensure awareness and compliance across the business.
What Team will I be a part?
The Senior Legal Counsel will be a member of the Real Estate sub-team (which consists of four lawyers and one paralegal) and will report into the Head of Real Estate Legal Practice.
Who are my customers?
McDonald’s teams including Acquisitions, Construction and Estates
What background do I need to have?
An applicant should be a qualified solicitor with strong academic credentials and post-qualification commercial property experience gained with a respected law firm or within an established in-house real estate department. Experience should include complex acquisition, development and landlord and tenant work, with some knowledge of planning and construction law. In-house or secondment experience, whilst not essential, will be advantageous.
- excellent written and verbal communication skills, including strong drafting skills,
- adaptability to audience and ability to clearly and concisely explain concepts and to influence internal clients
- an innovative solution-focused approach and strong problem-solving ability
- strong commercial awareness and understanding, business judgment and ability to evaluate legal risk
- be a team player, with an ability to mentor, develop and model skills for others
- be positive, self-motivated, enthusiastic, authentic, pragmatic, forward-thinking and curious
- be an effective communicator (including having strong drafting skills and the ability to clearly and concisely explain concepts to non-legal partners); a relationship builder; efficient; and able to see the big picture by providing commercially sound advice.
At McDonald’s we are People from all Walks of Life...
People are at the heart of everything we do, and they make the McDonald’s experience. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive culture that means people can be their best authentic self in our restaurants and offices, which helps us to better serve our customers. We have a strong heritage of diversity and representation within our communities, which we are proud of. The diversity of our people, customers, Franchisees and suppliers gives us strength.
We do not tolerate inequality, injustice or discrimination of any kind. These are hugely important issues and a brand with our reach and relevance means we have a very meaningful role to play.
We also recognise our responsibility as a large employer to continue being active in our communities, helping to develop skills and drive aspirations that will help people to be more aware of the world of work and more successful within it, whether with McDonald’s or elsewhere."
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Req ID: REF4612A_743999906154253