Engineer II, Restaurant Systems Management
McDonald's evolving Accelerating the Arches growth strategy puts our customers and people first and demonstrates our competitive advantages to strengthen our brand. We are recognized on lists like Fortune’s Most Admired Companies and Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies.
Doubling Down on the 4Ds (Delivery, Digital, Drive Thru, and Development)
Our growth pillars emphasize the critical role technology plays as the best-in-class, global omni-channel restaurant brand. Technology enables the organization through digital technologies, and improving the customer, crew and employee experience each and every day!
Global Technology forging the way
Leading the digitization of our business is the Technology organization made up of innovation specialists who build industry defining tech using the latest innovations and platforms, like AI and edge computing to deliver on the next set of groundbreaking opportunities for the business. We take on technology innovation challenges at an incredible scale, and work across global teams who are always hungry for a challenge! This provides access to compelling career paths for technologists. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.
McDonald’s new growth strategy, Accelerating the Arches, encompasses all aspects of our business as the leading global omni-channel restaurant brand. As the consumer landscape shifts, we are using our competitive advantages to further strengthen our brand. One of our core growth strategies is to Double Down on the 3Ds (Delivery, Digital and Drive Thru). McDonald’s will accelerate technology innovation so 65M+ customers a day will experience a fast, easy experience, whether at one of our 25,000 and growing Drive Thrus, through McDelivery, dine-in or takeaway.
Leading this revolution is McDonald’s Global Technology organization made up of intrapreneurs who get to build really cool tech with inquisitive people using the latest innovations like AI, IOT, and edge computing. We do this working along diverse, global teams who are always hungry for a challenge. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.Job Description:
This opportunity is part of the Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations team (GTIO), where our mission is to deliver modern and relevant technology that supports the way McDonald’s works. We provide outstanding foundational technology products and services including Global Networking, Cloud, End User Computing, and IT Service Management. It’s our goal to always provide an engaging, relevant, and simple experience for our customers.
The Engineer II (Restaurant Systems Management, RSM, Platform) is part of the Restaurant Infrastructure & Operations Platform team within Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations (GTIO). This role reports to the Senior Technical Product Manager (RSM) and is responsible for engineering / development, integration with other Restaurant and Enterprise systems and setting patterns and direction for development. The Restaurant Systems Management platform includes tools, processes, and services related to restaurant device configuration and management, compliance, software installation and security patching.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced technology leader to help shape the transformation of infrastructure and operations products and services to the entire McDonalds environment.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Design, implement, test, deploy and maintain innovative software solutions to transform platform service performance, adaptability, cost, and security.
- Implement short-term strategy for the Restaurant Systems Management team
- Play a pivotal role in the engineering and development of product features from beginning to end
- Build solutions to run predictions on distributed systems with exposure to innovative technologies at incredible scale and speed.
- Perform assessments of RSM architecture and configurations against baseline; analyze performance to identify and develop system improvement opportunities
- Contribute to the performance of the team; mentor more junior technical team members
- Contribute to a prioritized engineering / development roadmap, sequenced to align with overall platform strategy and other internal customers.
- Provide guidance to platform architecture and key decisions.
- Provide feedback into restaurant global standards to ensure consistency.
- Liaise with internal leaders, segment and market teams, the Restaurant Compute and Hardware Solutions team on their strategies and plans for individual solutions.
- Decompose complex problems into straightforward solutions. Consistently bring strong, data-driven business, and technical judgment to decisions.
- Identify core challenges or opportunities within business processes. Understand the root cause and impacts for the project and other teams.
- Proactively identify gaps and opportunities (e.g., services, workflows, tooling) within or between systems and processes they support.
- Invest time to mentor team members to refine their capabilities and close skill gaps.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with Infrastructure as Code Implementations (Terraform, Chef, Puppet, AWS Cloud Formation)
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with supervising tools like Microsoft System Center Operations Manager, NewRelic, or SolarWinds
- Experienced with Dashboards and Reporting
- Experienced with software developments and deployments at large scale
- Experienced with automated OS deployments
- Knowledgeable in scripting languages, PowerShell, Bash,
- Experience with Python, .NET and C#
- Experience with MDM solutions
- Understanding of DevOps in large-scale distributed environments
- Understanding of Server (Microsoft Windows, Linux), Client (Microsoft Windows, Linux) and Android / Apple systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of device configuration, software installation and security patching
- Knowledge of Microsoft System Center (Configuration Manager, Intune), Ansible, Jamf, or related Systems Management technologies.
- Ability to apply data to proactively identify and tackle sophisticated problems potentially impacting the restaurant infrastructure platform function.
- Ability to think strategically and relate architectural decisions / recommendations to business needs.
- Deep understanding of cloud solutions in one or more major cloud service providers (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- Experience with some or all of these cloud concepts: Serverless Architecture, Container Architecture, Storage, and Identity and Access Management.
- Experience with IT Infrastructure / Platform and Cloud development, including:
- Server, Edge, IOT Compute
- Virtualization, Containerization
- Container Management Systems
- Event, Messaging Systems
- Observability Systems (Performance, Telemetry)
- HA Platform Designs
- Cloud, Hybrid, Hyperconvergence Environments
- Strong attention to detail and a dedication to producing high-quality work.
- Passion for emerging technology and real-world applications.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills: able to present facts, thoughts, and ideas in a clear, concise manner to senior collaborators.
- Understand customer centricity, and develop products with that mentality.
- Experience with infrastructure as Code, Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS).
- Experience with on-premise, Edge and Cloud platform design patterns and vendor platform capabilities; experience deploying Edge or Cloud tools and technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to optimally influence and partner across product and platform teams within a global engineering organization.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and navigate to get results within a globally distributed organization.
- Experience building and running infrastructure platforms that address global complexities, meet security standards, and support differences between markets/regions.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience.
- 1+ years of experience giving to the architecture, engineering and design of new and current systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent years of experience.
- Programming experience with modern languages such as C#, C++, PowerShell including object-oriented design
- Proven leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and standard methodologies.
- Experience in optimization mathematics such as linear programming and nonlinear optimization.
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
- Adept at handling ambiguous or undefined problems as well as ability to think abstractly
- Solid knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals (object-oriented design, data structures and algorithm.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, hard-working and delivers high quality results in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly quantitative with great judgment and passion for building an extraordinary customer experience.
McDonald’s is an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our workforce. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. McDonald’s provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities as part of the application or hiring process or to perform the essential functions of their job. If you need assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise feel you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.