Domain Architect, Restaurant Infrastructure & Operations Platforms
McDonald's evolving Accelerating the Arches growth strategy puts our customers and people first and demonstrates our competitive advantages to strengthen our brand. We are recognized on lists like Fortune’s Most Admired Companies and Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies.
Doubling Down on the 4Ds (Delivery, Digital, Drive Thru, and Development)
Our growth pillars emphasize the critical role technology plays as the best-in-class, global omni-channel restaurant brand. Technology enables the organization through digital technologies, and improving the customer, crew and employee experience each and every day!
Global Technology forging the way
Leading the digitization of our business is the Technology organization made up of innovation specialists who build industry defining tech using the latest innovations and platforms, like AI and edge computing to deliver on the next set of groundbreaking opportunities for the business. We take on technology innovation challenges at an incredible scale, and work across global teams who are always hungry for a challenge! This provides access to compelling career paths for technologists. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.Job Description:
This opportunity is integrated within our Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations team (GTIO), where our mission is to deliver modern and relevant technology that supports the way McDonald’s works. We provide outstanding foundational technology products and services including Global Networking, Cloud, End User Computing, and IT Service Management. It’s our goal to always provide an engaging, relevant, and simple experience for our customers.
The Domain Architect is an integral part of the GTIO Restaurant Infrastructure & Operations Platform function and reports to the Senior Manager, Platform Management. You will be responsible for providing subject-matter expertise for current and future planning, technical architectures, models, and standards. To ensure a cohesive enterprise technology strategy and direction, this role will work closely with related teams, including the Cloud Platform Engineering teams, Enterprise Architecture, Hardware Infrastructure Platform teams, and Engineering.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced technology leader to help craft the transformation of infrastructure and operations products and services to the entire McDonalds environment.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Participate in architecture and design discussions that produce requirements.
- Understand underlying technologies to build optimized, efficient code.
- Collaborate in an agile-based environment, including standups and other agile ceremonies.
- Work effectively in a sophisticated technical environment and accept new technologies.
- Build a well-informed restaurant platform system strategy (e.g. virtualization and container management platforms, automation and deployment tools, secrets management, privileged remote access (PRA), observability and monitoring, coordination between Edge and Cloud strategies, etc).
- Define new and/or continuously improve reference architectures.
- Understand key cloud/Edge computing security measures and apply them in architecture designs where appropriate.
- Assess the strengths and weaknesses of potential solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Partner with our restaurant product and engineering teams to review architecture, solution designs, and drive alignment to achieve North Star vision.
- Create and maintain blueprints of all McDonald’s restaurant hardware devices, equipment, and systems as well as PaaS/SaaS solutions provided by vendors.
- Translate the technical roadmap to senior business leadership to help them better understand how technology will affect their business objectives.
- Provide mentorship to technical specifications to ensure technology hardware vendors are following all architectural standards and meeting all critical metrics set forth by the Hardware Solutions teams.
- Craft and develop innovation POCs and fast fail concepts to assess hardware conceptual use cases as well as technical feasibility.
- Must be fully vaccinated (i.e., at least 2 weeks after last dose) for COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination by start date.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a proven track record to use data and metrics to drive decision-making.
- Deep understanding of cloud solution architecture in one or more major cloud service providers (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- In-depth experience with some or all of these cloud concepts: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Serverless Architecture, Container Architecture, Platform as a Service (PaaS), Storage, Infrastructure as Code, and Identity and Access Management.
- Excellent collaboration skills with the ability to partner with multi-functional teams.
- Ability to think strategically and relate architectural decisions / recommendations to business needs.
- Certified as AWS Certified Solutions Architect, Google Cloud Professional Architect, Azure Solutions Architect, or willing to acquire in first year.
- Experience in the design and deployment of scalable and resilient core platform infrastructure capabilities
- Implementation of security standard methodologies to protect platform resources and data
- Demonstrated experience with IT Infrastructure / Platform and Cloud development, including:
- Server, Edge, IOT Compute
- Virtualization, Containerization (Hyper-V, VMWare, KVM)
- Container Management Systems (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Event-, Messaging Systems
- Observability Systems (Performance-, Telemetry)
- HA Platform Designs
- Cloud-, Hybrid-, Hyperconvergence Environments
- Strong working knowledge of monitoring and alerting systems (Prometheus, ELK Stack, Nagios, )
- Experience with product development processes and methodologies, including agile and waterfall.
- Experience with repository and version control management tools (Git)
- Experience working with engineers to develop and deliver high-quality products.
- Solid understanding and hands-on experience with deployment tools such as Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), Intune or other comparable large-scale systems such as Altiris, JAMF
- Able to independently and lead numerous projects simultaneously.
- Strong attention to detail and a dedication to producing high-quality work.
- Passion for emerging technology and real-world applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: able to present facts, thoughts, and ideas in a clear, concise manner to senior collaborators.
- Technical knowledge of infrastructure solutions and capabilities with an understanding of hardware components, systems, and technologies.
- Familiar with Corporate, Industry and Professional Standards
- Technical knowledge and experience with development / engineering and software architecture design
- Consistent track record of experience with DevOps
- Deep understand of Security
- Experience with change and design initiatives, covering areas such as operations, IT, and product development.
- Experience writing SQL or NoSQL queries and/or crafting reports with either relational data or large-scale data.
- Experience with user centric designs to drive the right customer journey outcomes.
- Experience defining user experience needs, writing epics, stories, and acceptance criteria in any automation scripting language such as Gherkin etc.
- proven expertise with infrastructure architecture and engineering
- 5+ years of shown experience in application architecture design
- demonstrated ability with cloud application architecture and deployment standard methodologies (AWS, Azure, and/or GCP)
- Experience architecting platforms for use in a distributed retail, hospitality, or similar physical technology environment.
- Demonstrated experience of delivering solutions in conjunction with 3rd party suppliers and offshore resources
- Knowledge on integration with CI/CD pipelines and test automation
- Deep experience with persistence architecture, scalability, performance, and tuning techniques
- Strong experience with containers (Docker, Kubernetes), configuration management systems, CI build tools, logging and monitoring tools
McDonald’s is an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our workforce. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. McDonald’s provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities as part of the application or hiring process or to perform the essential functions of their job. If you need assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise feel you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.