Director, Operational Excellence - Commercial Products & Platforms
McDonald's evolving Accelerating the Arches growth strategy puts our customers and people first and demonstrates our competitive advantages to strengthen our brand. We are recognized on lists like Fortune’s Most Admired Companies and Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies.
Doubling Down on the 4Ds (Delivery, Digital, Drive Thru, and Development)
Our growth pillars emphasize the critical role technology plays as the best-in-class, global omni-channel restaurant brand. Technology enables the organization through digital technologies, and improving the customer, crew and employee experience each and every day!
Global Technology forging the way
Leading the digitization of our business is the Technology organization made up of innovation specialists who build industry defining tech using the latest innovations and platforms, like AI and edge computing to deliver on the next set of groundbreaking opportunities for the business. We take on technology innovation challenges at an incredible scale, and work across global teams who are always hungry for a challenge! This provides access to compelling career paths for technologists. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.Job Description:
This opportunity is part of the Global Technology Commercial Products & Platforms (CPP) Team, focused on Financials and Strategy, where our vision is to develop technology that delight our customers and enable our crews to operate our restaurants reliably and effectively. This Director-level role will be part of CPP and Global Technology.
The Director, Operational Excellence (OpEx) CPP, Financials & Strategy will report to the Senior Director of OpEx for CPP and will manage financials, performance, and strategy for the CPP Teams. The financial management and strategic management aspects aim to span across CPP, and include support and partnership with Restaurant Technology, Customer Technology, Delivery Office, Resource Optimization, Data & Architecture, and the ArchOS initiative. The Director will have one direct report.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for overseeing capacity planning across CPP, including:
- Providing review and oversight of intake and demand consolidation across CPP
- Management of overall CPP resource allocation, aimed at resource optimization.
- Provide director level leadership to CPP project portfolio and project alignment.
- Prioritize CPP projects and initiatives to align with key objectives.
- Lead road mapping exercises with teams to inform prioritization.
- Oversee, establish, and provide input into timelines, deliverables, and milestones.
- Lead collation of CPP input to annual phase planning.
- Align planning strategy with CPP products and platforms and overall strategy.
- Partner with peer directors in project management office (PMO) to establish ways of working, best practices, and identify opportunities towards improvement.
- Lead the cross-CPP strategy.
- Garner strategic alignment across CPP in partnership with Restaurant Technology, Customer Technology, Delivery Office, Resource Optimization, Data & Architecture, and the ArchOS initiative.
- Partner with peer CPP OpEx Team to elicit input to strategy and adjust.
- Flow down strategy through the CPP OpEx team to align strategy to goals to execution.
- Ensure CPP strategy is also aligned up to overall Glboal Technology Strategy.
- Responsible to lead the CPP center for innovation, ideation, and incubation.
- Create processes to generate ideas and then prioritize.
- Lead efforts to establish protocols for prototyping, and proofs of concept.
- Establish practices and governance for testing and validation processes.
- Create a culture of continuous improvement and establish expectations across CPP.
- Establish practices to embed and include industry trends and competitive research in CPP.
- Implement processes to operationalize market research activities and trend analysis.
- Determine prioritization for competitive benchmarking efforts and target arenas.
- Conduct and analyses consumer behavior and determine how to leverage learnings to improve products, platforms, or people in CPP.
- Lead financial management activities for CPP.
- Oversee CPP OpEx analyst and financial management activities.
- Responsible for overall CPP financial planning, budget requests, and aggregation
- Lead monthly financial planning activities, setting CPP leadership expectations and partner with peer leaders in Financial Planning & Analysis
- Ensure analyst has support, resources, and guidance to execute tower financial modeling, regular monthly financial forecasting, tower financial aggregation, and tower capital management.
- Responsible for value realization capability
- Create, implement, and oversee value realization efforts for CPP.
- Establish effective tools and tracking for value realization processes.
- Determine execution methods for CPP value realization and resources needed.
- Leverage CPP OpEx analyst to conduct effective cost-benefit analysis, return on investment (ROI) analyses, and business case justifications.
- Conduct team performance management actions, reviews, and evaluation.
- Execute hiring and employee lifecycle actions in support of the Senior Director, OpEx and CPP.
- Provide support to the Senior Director for CPP OpEx, as needed.
- Experience at Director level or equivalent with a variety of organizational practices, including strategic management, financial management, operations excellence, and organizational practices.
- Knowledge and ability to oversee recommendations and improvements of best practices.
- Able to navigate complexity, various stakeholder needs, while delivering tangible outcomes.
- Ability to work across diverse teams to enable change and establish operational cadences.
- Working knowledge of business practices, organizational practices, and governance processes.
- Experience as director or equivalent role in building team culture and organizational culture.
- 10 years’ experience working in business, technology, organizational effectiveness, organizational excellence, business process optimization, continuous improvement, or other related areas.
- Comfortable working across local and international teams, on-site, hybrid, and virtual environments.
- Able to work with Microsoft Office Suite (Office 365 / O365, including Teams, SharePoint, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote), and oversee team members working in these applications.
- Comfortable to use, navigate, or learn Smartsheet and other digital tools and dashboards.
- Comfortable working with senior organizational leaders, technology leaders, human resource leaders, operational experts, communications teams, strategy & planning, and finance teams.
- Ability to collaborate horizontally and vertically across technology leadership teams, aware of industry and technology trends, and open to cultivating ideas of adoption and innovation.
- Demonstrated combination of education and years of director level experience showing ability to collaborate with senior leader teams, provide strategic recommendations, and execute action.
- Capable of being structured and methodical, while also flexible and adaptable to changing organization needs, technology innovation, and organizational transformation.
- Able to specifically partner with peer director leaders in Global Technology, Strategy and Planning, Financial Planning and Analysis, Human Resources Management, and Operational Excellence.
- Organization to establish and meet deadlines, communicate strategy up, out, and down, and to ensure overall CPP is prepared and resourced to meet strategic objectives.
McDonald’s is an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our workforce. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. McDonald’s provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities as part of the application or hiring process or to perform the essential functions of their job. If you need assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise feel you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.