Director, Data Protection
McDonald’s new growth strategy, Accelerating the Arches, encompasses all aspects of our business as the leading global omni-channel restaurant brand. As the consumer landscape shifts we are using our competitive advantages to further strengthen our brand. One of our core growth strategies is to Double Down on the 3Ds (Delivery, Digital and Drive Thru). McDonald’s will accelerate technology innovation so 65M+ customers a day will experience a fast, easy experience, whether at one of our 25,000 and growing Drive Thrus, through McDelivery, dine-in or takeaway.
Leading this tech revolution is McDonald’s Global Technology organization made up of intrapreneurs who get to build really cool tech with scary smart people using the latest innovations like AI, IOT, and edge computing. We do this working along diverse, global teams who are always hungry for a challenge. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.
This role will collaborate closely with cybersecurity experts, market leads, project managers, and Global Technology Solutions teams to ensure the reliable and efficient operation of McDonald’s security services. In addition, this role will be responsible for managing and collaborating with the support teams that handle tickets and other operational tasks for McDonald’s security services. This person will work closely with others in Global Technology Risk Management and other areas of Global Technology to ensure that our services are meeting the needs of markets, application teams, and other stakeholders.
Check out the Global Technology Technical Blog to learn how technology is directly enabling the Accelerating the Arches strategy.Job Description:
McDonald’s is seeking a Director of Data Protection to build and grow a new team. The Data Protection team is committed to secure and protect McDonald’s information anywhere, on any device, and at all times. We are seeking the most driven and ambitious cybersecurity professionals to partner with us in continuing to build our culture of security. We strive to find the balance of security with productivity but will never compromise on the quality and effectiveness of our data protection controls. This role will be focused on working to understand what sensitive data McDonald’s has within files and collaboration platforms, where it is, and how to protect it. This opportunity is part of the Global Technology Risk Management Team (GTRM), and reports to the Sr. Director, Data Protection.
This role will build an effective program around governing data risks, tying together the input from teams focused on data governance, global regulatory and compliance risks, and cybersecurity risks into a cohesive data protection program. They will help to prioritize, design, and monitor the effectiveness of security controls related to data throughout the system development lifecycle.
This role will work with partners globally to deploy the data protection program across markets. This person must set the high-level strategy and direction for the team and for vendor partners and set clear expectations, goals, and requirements that must be obtained as a measure of success. This position will work with and advise market technology teams, Cybersecurity Service Operations, security architects, key vendors and others to ensure the continued effectiveness of data protection controls.
We are adapting quickly and are adding to our best-in-class team, and joining McDonald's means thinking big every day and preparing for a career that will affect the world. We are customer-focused, committed to being leaders in our industry, and believe we are better when we work together. Over the last several years, we have launched home delivery, radically improved the digital experiences of our restaurants, introduced mobile pay, and have so much more to come. These critical initiatives require strong leadership to ensure compliance with policies, standards, regulatory requirements, and best methodologies.
McDonald’s is investing heavily in technology to drive our growth. We’re looking at how to use technology to improve the customer experience and build new customer experiences. We’re also exploring technologies that can help us reduce or eliminate repetitive tasks and make employees’ jobs more exciting and rewarding. With all the new projects and initiatives, it is an exciting time to be on the Cybersecurity team, helping to make a safer and Better McDonald's!
- Build and lead a Data Protection team, working to understand what sensitive data McDonald’s has within files and collaboration platforms, where it is, and how to protect it.
- Collaborate with other stakeholders in Data Governance, Privacy, and Risk Management to assess and classify data types and associated risks, including emerging regulatory risks.
- Build strong multi-functional relationships by collaborating with other partners in Cybersecurity, global market teams, End User Infrastructure and Operations, Records and Information Management, and Cybersecurity Service Engineering teams to identify, prioritize, and assist with enabling/monitoring appropriate security controls based on data risks.
- Engage employees, across the company, to understand their role in securing data and how to comply with data protection security controls
- Develop and improve security policies, standards, procedures and guidelines related to how employees collaborate and handle sensitive data.
- Work to develop training and awareness campaigns for employees to better handle sensitive data.
- Understand and advise on data protection security controls required for external compliance obligations (such as GDPR, CCPA, PCI, etc.)
- Assess the strategic and practical needs of McDonald’s data protection initiatives and identify and drive improvements to related processes and technologies.
- Define and create risk and performance metrics to measure risk rankings and risk reduction.
- Ensure security policies, standards, procedures, and guidelines are followed.
- Identify developmental needs of direct reports and develop suggestions to address those needs. Act as a mentor to team members on projects and provides on-the-job training.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of Sr. Manager experience with a background in designing, building, or operating data protection services.
- Experienced in leading collaborative efforts across organizational silos, including multifunctional teams of IT professionals, compliance teams, and business executives.
- Deep understanding and experience with data risk program design, including alignment to cybersecurity, compliance, and privacy programs.
- Global team management and people leadership experience
- Experience with cloud collaboration tools and security/compliance, particularly Microsoft 365.
- Experience with data protection and governance technologies, e.g., Data Discovery, Data Loss Prevention, Document Classification, and Data Access Governance.
- Experience with data protection programs focused on data handling, particularly Data Loss Prevention and Insider Threat prioritization and incident response.
- Experience or familiarity with emerging data protection technologies for employee communications, e.g., Secure Access Service Edge.
- Experience in evaluation and selection of emerging technologies, including defining business cases and roadmaps.
- Familiarity with sophisticated multinational companies and distributed business models.
- Professional certifications such as CISSP, CISM, or similar.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact email@example.com
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.