Cloud Ops Engineer III
McDonald's evolving Accelerating the Arches growth strategy puts our customers and people first and demonstrates our competitive advantages to strengthen our brand. We are recognized on lists like Fortune’s Most Admired Companies and Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies.
Doubling Down on the 4Ds (Delivery, Digital, Drive Thru, and Development)
Our growth pillars emphasize the critical role technology plays as the best-in-class, global omni-channel restaurant brand. Technology enables the organization through digital technologies, and improving the customer, crew and employee experience each and every day!
Global Technology forging the way
Leading the digitization of our business is the Technology organization made up of innovation specialists who build industry defining tech using the latest innovations and platforms, like AI and edge computing to deliver on the next set of groundbreaking opportunities for the business. We take on technology innovation challenges at an incredible scale, and work across global teams who are always hungry for a challenge! This provides access to compelling career paths for technologists. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.Job Description:
This opportunity is built into the Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations team (GTIO), where our mission is to deliver modern and relevant technology that supports the way McDonald’s works. We provide best-in-class foundational technology products and services including Global Networking, Cloud, End User Computing, and IT Service Management. It’s our goal to always provide an engaging, relevant, and simple experience for our customers.
The Cloud Operations Engineer III role is a part of the Cloud Infrastructure & Operations team in Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations. The role collaborates with the Senior Manager of Cloud Operations and is responsible for providing subject-matter expertise for designing and managing the operational aspects of cloud infrastructure to ensure its performance, reliability, operational efficiency, scalability, and security. This role will work closely with Cloud Operations Engineers, Cloud Architecture teams, Cloud Platform Engineering (DevOps and Security), Enterprise Architecture, and Engineering teams to ensure a cohesive enterprise technology strategy and direction.
This is a great opportunity for an expert technology leader to help shape the transformation of infrastructure and operations products and services to the entire McDonalds environment.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Collaborate with multi-functional teams to understand business requirements and translate them into operational designs.
- Apply your expertise in cloud services such as compute, storage, database, serverless, monitoring, IAM, microservices, and event management to design robust solutions to business problems.
- Participate in architecture and design discussions that produce requirements.
- Interpret business requirements and challenges, identify design issues, and develop well-architected patterns that ensure performance, scalability, reliability, cost optimization, and security.
- Collaborate in an agile-based environment and provide good daily feedback on team stand-up call.
- Work effectively in a complex technical environment and adopt new technologies.
- Lead the templatization of products and operational solutions using Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools like AWS CloudFormation and Terraform.
- Design operational workflows, automation processes, and configurations that facilitate deployment, monitoring, and management of cloud resources.
- Find opportunities to improve existing infrastructure architecture to improve performance, support, scalability, reliability, and security.
- Incorporate security best practices, identity and access management, and encryption mechanisms for data protection.
- Provide prescriptive guidance to cloud infrastructure engineers to optimize the technical framework that supports McDonald’s applications, services, and workloads in the cloud environment.
- Apply a deep understanding of well-architected frameworks to guide design decisions.
- Design and implement robust monitoring and alerting systems using cloud native tooling (e.g., Amazon CloudWatch, Azure Monitor) and commercial products (e.g. Data Dog and New Relic).
- Develop automation scripts and processes to streamline routine tasks such as scaling, patching, backup, and recovery.
- Collaborate with application teams to ensure applications and services can handle varying workloads and traffic demands.
- Optimize cloud resources, instance types, and configurations to maintain optimal performance.
- Create and maintain operational documentation, runbooks, and standard operating procedures (SOPs), for various cloud operations processes and tasks.
- Logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Willingness and ability to live the McDonald’s values every day: Serve, Inclusion, Integrity, Community, and Family.
- Has excellent communication skills to work as a member of a team.
- Understanding of and how to support zero-trust architectures.
- Ability to think strategically and relate architectural decisions/recommendations to business needs.
- Deep understanding of cloud solution architecture in one or more major cloud service providers (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- In-depth experience with Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), compute, storage, database, network, content distribution, security/IAM, microservices, management, and serverless services.
- Working knowledge of Infrastructure as Code (IaC) such as Terraform, CloudFormation, or Azure Resource Manager.
- Ability to develop tools and automate tasks using scripting languages such as python, PowerShell, bash, pearl, ruby, etc.
- Experience with cloud native or commercial infrastructure monitoring and alerting tools
- Understanding of network concepts, including virtual networks, subnets, firewalls, and load balancers in a cloud context.
- Associate AWS certifications (e.g. Solutions Architect Associate or SysOps Administrator Associate).
- 3 + years experience in an infrastructure operations role such as Systems Administrator, Systems Engineer, or Network Engineer
- Experience suggesting/recommending competitive and innovative technical options, obtaining client buy-in and delivering on commitments.
- 3+ years as an engineer or architect working with public cloud providers such as AWS, Azure, and GCP.
- Knowledge of containerization technologies like Docker and orchestration tools like Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with configuration management tools like Ansible, Chef, or Puppet.
- Excellent client-facing written and oral communications
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, organizational and time management skills.
- AWS Solutions Architect Profession certification
McDonald’s is an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our workforce. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. McDonald’s provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities as part of the application or hiring process or to perform the essential functions of their job. If you need assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise feel you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.