Cloud Infrastructure Engineer II - GCP
McDonald’s evolving Accelerating the Arches growth strategy puts our customers and people first and leverages our competitive advantages to strengthen our brand! We are recognized on lists like Fortune’s Most Admired Companies and Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies.
Doubling Down on the 4Ds (Delivery, Digital, Drive Thru, and Development). Our growth pillars emphasize the important role technology plays as the leading, global omni-channel restaurant brand! Technology enables the organization through digital technology, and improving the customer, crew and employee experience each and every day.
Global Technology forging the way Leading the digitization of our business is the Technology organization made up of intrapreneurs who build industry defining tech using the latest innovations and platforms, like AI and edge computing to deliver on the next set of cutting-edge opportunities for the business. At McDonald’s you get to solve technology innovation challenges at an incredible scale, and work across global teams who are always hungry for a challenge. This provides access to exciting career paths for technologists. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.
Check out the Global Technology Technical Blog to learn how technology is directly enabling the Accelerating the Arches strategy.Job Description:
This opportunity is part of the Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations team (GTIO), where our mission is to deliver modern and relevant technology that supports the way McDonald’s works. We provide best-in-class foundational technology products and services including Global Networking, Cloud, End User Computing, and IT Service Management. It’s our goal to always provide an engaging, relevant, and simple experience for our customers.
The Cloud Engineer II role is part of the Cloud Infrastructure and Operations team in Global Technology Infrastructure & Operations. The role reports to the Cloud Operations Senior Manager and is responsible for supporting and maturing the Cloud Operations program. As a Cloud Operations Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in crafting and developing the McDonald’s Cloud Operations program. You will support the Corporate,
Digital, Data, Restaurant, and Market application and product teams by efficiently and effectively delivering cloud resources and services.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced technology leader to help shape the transformation of infrastructure and operations products and services to the entire McDonalds environment.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Lead the management, configuration, and monitoring of cloud infrastructure and resources.
- Provide guidance and support to Managed Service Providers providing cloud operations and engineering services.
- Respond to operational events and incidents by providing oversight, advising Domain Experts, solving issues that arise, and providing technical expertise to promptly restore services.
- Develop and maintain cloud infrastructure using Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and automation scripts (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation, python, bash, PowerShell, AWS CLI/SDK, Azure Cloud Shell).
- Identify, templatize, and work with team to develop infrastructure products using IaC.
- Research, analyze, design, develop and support high-quality automation workflows inside and outside the cloud platform that are appropriate for business and technology strategies.
- While embedding with teams, strategize, consult, and prototype alongside other engineers to implement standard processes and solutions for applications.
- Transform legacy on-premises technical requirements into cloud native solutions.
- Manage operating system and application lifecycles to ensure Infrastructure is secure and resilient.
- Support cloud infrastructure backup and recovery.
- Develop net-new and leverage existing operations management tools to improve operations administration, efficiency, and visibility.
- Remain up-to-date on emerging technologies and architecture and propose ways to use them in current and upcoming projects.
- Strive to provide internal and external customers with excellent customer service and premier service.
- Effectively communicate project health, risks, and issues to the program collaborators, sponsors, and management teams.
- Resolve most conflicts between timeline, budget, and scope independently but intuitively call out sophisticated or consequential issues to senior management.
- Identify and direct changes through appropriate review and approval mechanisms.
- Work well in an agile environment.
· 5+ years of Cloud experience in operational and strategic roles and a Bachelor’s degree.
· Experience working on a fast paced on-premises or cloud infrastructure operations team supporting global applications and users.
· Ability to effectively prioritize workload for self and team.
· Knowledge of AWS and GCP and a willingness to upskill as the company’s adoption grows.
· Associate Google certification
· Demonstrated hands on experience with core GCP and AWS IaaS and PaaS services such as compute, storage, database, developer, analytics, networking, management tools, and security.
· Working knowledge of Infrastructure as Code (IaC) such as Terraform and CloudFormation.
· Ability to develop tools and automate tasks using scripting languages such as python, PowerShell, bash, pearl, ruby, etc.
· Strong experience with infrastructure or cloud operations processes, functions, and capabilities. Including but not limited to availability, continuity, patch management, performance and capacity, change and release management, incident and problem management, observability, and event management.
· Experience with commercial and cloud native observability tools (e.g., Data Dog, New Relic, CloudWatch, CloudTrail, Azure Monitor).
· Strong understanding of network and infrastructure signals indicating potential performance and availability events.
· Strong knowledge of cloud infrastructure services and well-architected practices.
· Ability to interact with REST APIs to query, transform, correlate, and parse data provided by web services.
· Experience with JSON and YAML with a proven ability to parse and manipulate JSON datasets.
· Strong desire to automate everything you touch.
· Self-starter, able to come up with solutions to problems and execute on those solutions while coordinating with other teams.
· GCP Professional Cloud DevOps Engineer certification
· AWS SysOpsAdmin certificationAdditional Information:
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact email@example.com
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.