Area Construction Manager
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. We continue to operate from a position of strength. Our updated growth strategy is focused on staying ahead of what our customers want and realizing further growth potential. Our relentless ambition is why McDonald’s remains one of the world’s leading corporations after almost 70 years. Joining McDonald's means thinking big and preparing for a career that can have influence around the world.
At McDonald’s, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer a broad range of outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone.Job Description:
As a member of the US Restaurant Development, specifically assigned to a Field Development Team the Area Construction Manager supervises construction issues for an assigned geography, including new restaurant development, rebuilding, remodeling, and site maintenance. Accountabilities include preparing site checks, cost estimates, and site construction plan preparation, obtaining and evaluating contractor’s cost proposals and representing the Company at public hearings. Manages new and remodel stores by providing overall project oversight in all phases of project development. This includes architecture and engineering coordination and administrative tasks required for the complete development of assigned company restaurants in compliance with company policies.
Responsible for all aspects of construction projects, from beginning plans to final completion. Ensures each project meets specifications including schedules, budgets, and contractual commitments. Interacts with planning commissions, governing bodies and utility providers. Manages and coordinates sub-contractors in medium to large residential/commercial construction projects. Responsible for material management and delivery scheduling tasks. Coordinates costing estimation, contract negotiation and remodeling activities. Leads a team of direct external reports. Partners with Area Real Estate Manager to negotiate, review and approve any landlord or seller’s work.
Preforms program management duties for system initiatives including tracking, supervision, contractor oversight, sub contactor oversight and supplier oversight. Collaborates with Owner Operators on all aspects of these efforts.
In addition to following McDonald’s policies and procedures, principal accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Partners with the Area Real Estate Manager in gathering and analyzing information on the potential of the market and each restaurant in assigned geographical area
- Provides input in the creation of the vision plan for the existing restaurant portfolio throughout the Field Development Team territory.
- Partners with the Area Real Estate Manager to utilize US Restaurant Development tools to strategically focus and prioritize actions to maximize market potential
- Assists the Area Real Estate Manager in ensuring that portfolio databases are accurate and current.
Maximizes Existing Assets
- Utilizes established development standards to optimize the sales performance of existing restaurants (e.g., visibility, access, presence, branding, drive-thru, landscaping, signage)
- Proactively identifies opportunities for potential improvements in physical plant and infrastructure (e.g., HVAC, lighting, signage, utilities)
- Supports the Real Estate Portfolio Manager in ensuring resolution of property issues (e.g., common area maintenance disputes, tax appeals, condemnations, excess property, easements)
- Ensures resolution of physical plant and infrastructure issues.
- Provides construction and design recommendations for specific elements of reinvestment plans (e.g., dining room renovation, exterior enhancements, drive-thru enhancement, capacities, branding)
- Reinforces and supports the reinvestment standards to Owner Operators and Operations throughout the reinvestment process.
- Coordinates with Owner Operators and Operations to determine project scope and timing.
- Coordinates and manages entire construction process (plans, bids, permits, construction, and project close-out).
- Partners with Real Estate COE & Field Development Team to prioritize development opportunities and ensure best use of capital (e.g., timing, funding and returns) throughout the Field Office.
- Creates, manages, and executes the development plan to meet portfolio returns and goals of the Field Development Team.
- Ensures quality control standards for construction (e.g., cost, timing, site building design layout, specifications)
- Works with US Restaurant Design to ensure consistency and apply development standards to optimize the site development processes (e.g., site layout, zoning, signage, building capacity)
- Monitors and controls the construction process by coordinating the efforts of others (e.g., contractors, attorneys, consultants, government agencies).
- Negotiates terms and conditions of construction agreements (e.g., price, timing).
- Assembles and presents construction contracts packages to management for approval.
- Works with Real Estate COE, Field Development Team, Field Office and outsourced service providers to secure all required entitlements and approvals.
- Ensures projects are closed out appropriately (e.g., punch-list, contractor documentation, collection of Owner Operator extras, collection of third part receivables, invoicing, and adherence to construction-related accounting principles).
- Ensures appropriate construction files are maintained for all projects.
- Communicates and implements corporate policies and procedures.
- Fosters the Team approach to Development throughout the Field Office.
- Develops and utilizes a network of contractors and other outside consultants.
- Provides effective consulting and maintains effective working relationships with Field Office, Group & USRD leadership, Owner Operators, other McDonald departments, alliance partners and outside organizations
- Provides Field Office operations staff input into Owner Operator's Business Reviews (e.g., physical plant characteristics, reinvestment scope and timing recommendations)
- Construction management experience
- Bachelor's Degree
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
McDonald’s is an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our workforce. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. McDonald’s provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities as part of the application or hiring process or to perform the essential functions of their job. If you need assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise feel you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.