US Sustainability Manager
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
From drive thru updates to delivery to mobile order and pay, we are innovating quickly and growing. Joining McDonald's means thinking big and preparing for a career that can have influence around the world.
At McDonald’s, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer a broad range of outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements - check them out here!
We are enjoying the flexibility of a hybrid work model, splitting our time between remote work and connecting with co-workers in our state-of-the-art headquarters. Located in the booming West Loop of downtown Chicago, it's set up to be a global hub that cultivates collaboration:
- Take a class at Hamburger University
- Sample future items in our Test Kitchen
- Utilize the latest technology to connect with your team around the globe
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every single requirement!Job Description:
The US Sustainability Manager will play a strategic role in our continued efforts to embed and strengthen sustainability strategies across McDonald’s US value chain, including the US restaurant portfolio and supply chain facilities.
Several responsibilities of this role will include the following:
- Lead progress on US restaurant portfolio resource efficiency and decarbonization, including electricity, fuel, and water consumption.
- Lead progress on US supply chain renewable energy engagement strategy.
- Lead US restaurant electric vehicle charging strategy development and implementation.
- Find opportunities for collaboration with franchisees, suppliers, industry, NGOs, government, and foundations, and develop and maintain relationships with key partners.
- Influence and engage leading industry and multi-stakeholder organizations. Represent the company at workshops, meetings, and speaking events.
- Conduct research, analysis, and engage customers as needed to advance data-driven strategies to reach goals.
- Handle energy and water sustainability emerging issues.
- Collaborate with global sustainability teammates to align global and US strategies.
- Collaborate with McDonald’s US field office teams to develop, communicate, and deploy strategies.
- Collaborate cross functionally with restaurant development, finance, equipment, strategic sourcing, public affairs, government relations, communications, and marketing.
- Domestic travel required, ~20-30%.
Experience and Knowledge
- Post-college experience working in decentralized organizations, leading organizational change campaigns, and general sustainability programs. Knowledge of industry trends and practices.
- BA/BS required. Desired specialties include business administration, sustainability, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, environmental engineering, architecture, climate science & accounting, ESG analytics & reporting.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of energy management.
- Experience in green buildings.
- Experience in energy policy and markets.
- Experience working in the restaurant or retail industry, especially with franchise models.
- Greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting experience
Competencies and mindset
- Big picture and strategic systems thinker. Ability to shift between strategy and execution, staying focused on the desired end outcome. Ability to lead and navigate change.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills. Ability to optimally run programs and projects; ensure timeliness and accuracy of results. Ability to balance multiple responsibilities.
- Possess strong analytical skills including problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent writing capabilities and ability to succinctly update leadership. Strong oral communication and presentation skills, including in front of large audiences.
- Strong social skills, ability to influence, and empathy. Ability to quickly build strong working relationships with diverse stakeholders in a decentralized and global environment.
- Comfortable operating in a fast-moving, ambiguous, evolving and fluid environment with few precedents.
- Positive and collaborative approach. Assumes good intent.
- · Values intellectual rigor and lifelong learning.
- Must be fully vaccinated (i.e., at least 2 weeks after last dose) for COVID-19 and, if hired, present proof of vaccination by start date.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.