McDonald's New Zealand Restaurant Careers
What is the minimum age policy at McDonald's?
To ensure McDonald's restaurants provide a work environment that supports the academic commitments of young people, we apply a minimum age policy of 15 years.
What do working hours look like at a restaurant?
The minimum length of a shift is 3 hours.
In addition, McDonald's recommends that school students are not expected to work beyond 10pm.
While the majority of McDonald's restaurants in New Zealand operate 24 hours, 7 days a week, there are some restaurants whose hours may be restricted eg. Food Court restaurants.
What do we mean by preferred work shifts?
Your preferred working shifts are the times within which you are able to be rostered to work each week. Think about the hours and days that you are able to work, taking into consideration school, sports and outside commitments. Please note that these shifts refer only to the times and days you would be free to work. Your rostered hours will fall within the times that you are able to work. Your hours will be discussed and agreed with you at the interview.
What does the recruitment process involve?
Step One – Apply to a Restaurant
The first step involves choosing your restaurant and completing an online application form.
- We want to make sure that we make this easy for you, so make sure you have the following info at your fingertips before you start the application:
- Your contact details including personal email address
- Right to work information if applicable
- Dates and details of any work history
- Current contact details of at least one referee (either personal/ academic/ work related)
- Also, think about the hours and days that you’re available to work, taking into consideration school,sports and outside commitments.
Once you have completed your online application form, you will be prompted to create a SmartProfile account which allows you to track your application and easily apply to different McDonald's restaurants using your saved information.
Step Two – Interview
If your application looks good you will be invited via email to an interview. The interview normally takes place at the restaurant and should take approximately 30 minutes. The interview will generally consist of a face-to-face interview however phone/video interviews can be arranged if agreed.
The interview gives both you and McDonald's the chance to see if we are right for each other.
- Don't forget to bring along any supporting documentation that you may need, such as your passport, birth certificate, or other applicable right to work evidence.
- You may like to think about the answers to the following questions:
- Why do you want to work at Macca's?
- Examples of a situation where you have worked or participated in a team.
- Please expect further discussion around your preferred working shifts that you indicated in your application form.
- Wear something clean and smart that you feel comfortable in. It is okay to come in your school uniform. Ensure that you wear closed low-heeled, non-skid shoes.
Step Three - Reference checks
We may conduct a reference check to confirm any information that may assist us with your application. This could be with your previous employer, school teacher or family friends.
- Don't forget to let your referee(s) know that we may call.
What do I need to bring to my interview?
If you are selected for an interview, you will need to demonstrate your right to work in New Zealand by providing an original of one of the following documents.
- Australian or New Zealand Passport
- Australian or New Zealand Citizenship Certificate and photo ID
- New Zealand Birth Certificate and photo ID
- Foreign Passport with Residency Visa and photo ID
- Foreign Passport with Visa work conditions (e.g. Student Visa) and photo ID
A copy of this document will be retained for your file if you are successful.
What do I wear to my interview?
Wear something clean and smart that you feel comfortable in. If applicable, it is okay to come in your school uniform. Ensure that you wear closed low-heeled, non-skid shoes.
How long is the interview?
The interview will take approximately 30 minutes.
What if I don't have my own email address?
If you do not have your own personal email address you will need to source this prior to proceeding with your application.
If a family member also works at Macca's can I use their email address?
No, every applicant requires their own personal email address
How long will it take for someone to contact me once I've submitted my application form?
We aim to contact you within a few days of receiving your application but if you don't hear from us, don't panic. There may be a large number of applications so it's taking awhile to review them all or there may not be any positions currently available that suit your profile. You will be able to track your application easily if you have created a SmartProfile account.
If I'm not successful at the restaurant I applied to can I re-apply?
Yes, you can.
Can I apply if I am not a New Zealand citizen?
Yes, however you must prove that you are legally entitled to work in New Zealand by showing us your immigration right to work permit/visa.
What is a SmartProfile account?
You are able to create a SmartProfile account once you have completed your application. This SmartProfile will allow you to keep track of your application/s as well as apply easily to other McDonald’s Restaurants NZ. You will also be able to upload your attachments onto this SmartProfile.