Applicant Privacy Statement
Last Updated: February 4, 2020
Scope and Application
Thank you for your interest in employment with McDonald’s! This Privacy Statement (the “Statement”) applies to personal information McDonald’s Corporation, McDonald’s USA, LLC, and their U.S.-based subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively referred to as “McDonald’s”) collect in connection with applications for employment with McDonald’s, including those submitted via our websites, mobile apps, or other digital interfaces.
This Statement applies to individuals who are applying for employment with McDonald’s within the United States. Please note this Statement does not apply to McDonald’s franchisees and applicants for employment with McDonald’s franchisees. The posting for the job you are applying to will tell you whether it is being offered by McDonald’s or by a franchisee. If you apply for employment with a franchisee, that franchisee uses your personal information pursuant to its own privacy practices. Please contact that franchisee to learn more about its privacy practices.
Information we collect and process
We collect the information you provide during the application process, which may include the following:
- Contact information, such as your name (first, middle, last), home address/country, telephone number and email address, your birth day and month, and your age;
- Your work experience (e.g., employment history, company, location and contact details, job title, start and end date, supervisor name), educational background (e.g., school/university, location, highest level of education, major area of study, graduation year, degree, GPA), professional certifications, relevant prior trainings or courses, confirmation of reliable transportation, language capabilities, your area/department/role of interest within McDonald’s, total compensation expectation, work schedule preferences, first possible start date, the fact that you might be subject to a non-compete, applicable termination/notice periods, restrictive covenant or any other agreement that might affect your ability to accept a position and work at McDonald's, references, letters of recommendation, interview notes, the source you heard about the job vacancy, and availabilities to schedule an in person interview;
- Volunteering experience, family members who work at McDonald’s and the nature of your relationship to them, your right to work in the United States and/or your selected location, and any limitations on your right to work associated with your employment sponsorship, if applicable;
- Your gender, if you choose to provide it;
- Information we need to provide you with an offer (e.g., rate of pay, start date, job title);
- Video recording of interviews and assessments of video interviews; and
- The results of other application-related assessments.
You may have the option to add attachments or further information (e.g., a CV or Resume, a cover letter or message, certifications or skills, language capabilities or a letter of recommendation) which might contain additional personal information. Such attachments and further information will be treated in the same way as other personal information you provide to us during the application process.
We may collect certain additional information that is not part of your application, such as military and/or veteran status, race/ethnicity, your ability to perform expected physical requirements of the position for which you are applying, physical limitations or other medical or health-related workplace accommodations, the results of background screening searches including credit and criminal background checks, educational background checks, drug and alcohol testing, and other pre-employment screenings.
Our website may contain features that let you sign up to receive communications about future McDonald’s job openings, as well as communications about our brand. If you use sign up for these communication, you can opt-out of these communications at any time.
How we use your information
We use this information to assess your qualifications for employment and other related services during the application and recruitment stage. This includes contacting you after you have applied, contacting references that you have provided as well as potentially carrying out background checks. We may also contact you about any other jobs we think may be of interest to you. We also may use your information to comply with any applicable legal obligations, record-keeping or reporting obligations as well as to establish, exercise or defend against any legal claims.
How we disclose and share your Information
In order to carry out the application and recruitment process under this Statement, your information may be shared with other McDonald’s employees such as your potential manager(s), members of the human resources team as well as other individuals within McDonald’s. Your information also may be shared with various third parties that assist us during the recruitment process. For example, we use third party service providers to collect your information as well as for other services such as carrying out background checks, work-related assessments or pre-employment screenings. We may also share information with third parties when we believe in good faith that the disclosure is required to comply with a court order, subpoena, warrant or legal process. We may also share your information in the event of a merger, acquisition, asset sale or other related transaction, or when we believe in good faith that disclosure is required by law or to protect the safety of our employees, the public or McDonald’s property.
For students, we may share information with your university in order to verify your application and/or employment status at your or your university’s request.
Information we receive from third parties
If you chose a third party to submit your application for positions with McDonald’s or to fill out your application for you, we may receive information about you, which might contain additional personal information. Such information will be treated in the same way as other personal information you provide to us during the application process.
McDonald’s will retain the personal information that we process pursuant to this Statement for the duration of time necessary to assess your qualifications for employment, and for the period of time thereafter as provided in our retention policies. You may also elect to have your information remain with McDonald’s, for example, if you continue to maintain a career profile on one of our websites.
We use technical, physical and organizational security measures designed to protect against unauthorized access, disclosure, damage or loss of personal information. The collection, transmission and storage of information can never be guaranteed to be completely secure. However, we take steps designed to ensure that appropriate security safeguards are in place internally and with our third party service providers to protect your information.
Cookies and other technologies
A “cookie” is a small text file that is placed onto an Internet user’s web browser or device and is used to remember and/or obtain information about the user.
A “web beacon” is a small object or image that is embedded into a web page, application, or email and is used to track activity. They are also sometimes referred to as pixels and tags.
Please note the following:
- You might be assigned a cookie when using our websites and mobile apps.
- We may use both session (for the duration of your visit) and persistent (for the duration of a fixed period of time) cookies and other tracking technologies.
- uniquely identify you or your device;
- allow you to access and use our websites and mobile apps, where without them, our websites and mobile apps may not work properly;
- further system security where appropriate;
- collect information for statistical purposes, in order to measure use of our websites and mobile apps;
- improve our products and services;
- help us monitor the performance (e.g., traffic, errors, page load time, popular sections, etc.) of our websites and mobile apps;
- remember you, for your convenience, when you visit our websites and mobile apps; and
- for other purposes described in the section of this Statement titled, “How we use your information.”
For example, we may use certain technologies to determine whether you have opened an e-mail or clicked on a link contained in an e-mail, and how you use the pages and content in our websites and mobile apps.
Use the options in your web browser if you do not wish to receive a cookie or if you wish to set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie. Click on the “Help” section of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences. If you disable all cookies, you may not be able to take advantage of all the features available on a website.
Some web browsers may have a "Do Not Track" preference that transmits a "Do Not Track" header to the websites you visit with information indicating that you do not want your activity to be tracked. McDonald’s does not currently take actions to respond to Do Not Track signals because a uniform technological standard has not yet been developed. We continue to review new technologies and may adopt a standard once one is created.
Where video is available on our online services, we may track the videos you view. You consent to our tracking of your video viewing through online services or third-party social media as permitted by applicable law, or until you withdraw your consent.
Links to other websites and social media
We may also have providers of other apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins on our online services, such as Facebook “Like” buttons, which may also use automated methods to collect information about how you use these features. These organizations may use your information in line with their own policies.
Additional Notice for California consumers
This part of our Statement applies to applicants to McDonald’s who reside in the State of California (whom we refer to below as “California applicants”).
Personal information we collect about California applicants
We describe the personal information we have collected from California applicants in the twelve (12) months preceding the Effective Date of this Statement in the part titled, “Information we collect and process” above. This information includes the following, which may or may not be part of your application, as specified in your application and this Statement.:
- Identifiers such as a real name; alias; postal, email and internet protocol (IP) addresses; online identifiers; and account name(s).
- The following categories of personal information described in California Civil Code 1798.80(e): (1) the personal information listed in the preceding bullet point as “identifiers,” (2) physical characteristics or description, (3) telephone number, (4) educational background, (5) employment-related information and employment history and (6) medical information.
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law including gender, race/ethnicity, medical condition, military and/or veteran status, and immigration status; the results of credit and criminal background checks, drug and alcohol testing and other screening procedures; and medical conditions if disclosed to us.
- Geolocation data - Our websites may ask permission to use your location to help you search for a job near you. If you provide permission, our websites may collect your location.
- Audio, electronic, visual, or similar information, such as video recordings of interviews.
- Professional or employment-related information, including your work experience (e.g., company, location and contact details, job title, start and end date, supervisor name), educational background (e.g., school/university, location, highest level of education, major area of study, graduation year, degree, GPA), professional certifications, language capabilities; your area/department/role of interest within McDonald’s, total compensation expectation, work schedule preferences, first possible start date, the fact that you might be subject to a non-compete, applicable termination/notice periods, restrictive covenant or any other agreement that might affect your ability to accept a position and work at McDonald's, references , letters of recommendation, interview notes, the source you heard about the job vacancy, and availabilities to schedule an in person interview.
- Education information, defined as information that is not publicly available personally identifiable information as defined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99).
- Inferences drawn from (1) the information we collect when you visit our website or seek employment whether electronically, in writing or orally; (2) information we collect, including through third-party suppliers, regarding content and other data posted on the Internet (such as data posted in social media or other public locations on the Internet); (3) information we collect from third-party service providers such as those carrying out background checks, work-related assessments or pre-employment screenings; and (4) information collected automatically via our websites or mobile apps or which we purchase from third parties, in order to create a profile about a consumer reflecting the consumer’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, or aptitudes.
We use the personal information we collect regarding California applicants for the purposes described in the section titled, “How we use your information” above.
Notice to California residents under 18 years of age
If you are a registered user of online services under the age of 18, and we have actual knowledge of your age, then under California law you may request and obtain removal of certain content or information you have posted on our online services. To do so, please contact us at the address, phone number or email address mentioned within this Statement. Please note that removal does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content. For example, removal may not be possible or permitted if another provision of law requires the content to be maintained, if it was posted or reposted by others, or if we paid compensation to you in exchange for the posting.
Data Sharing for Direct Marketing Purposes
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 further permits California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident, you may ask us to refrain from sharing your personal information with certain of our affiliates and other third parties for their marketing purposes. Please tell us your preference by contacting us as specified below. To make such a request, please tell us your preference by contacting us as specified below.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns, or would like to contact us for any other reason relating to our personal information practices, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to this Statement
This Statement is in effect as of the date noted at the top of the Statement. We may change this Statement from time to time. If we do, we will post the revised version here and change the “last updated date” (the date it applies from) at the top of the Statement. You should check here regularly for the most up-to-date version of the Statement.