McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
From drive thru updates to delivery to mobile order and pay, we are innovating quickly and growing. Joining McDonald's means thinking big and preparing for a career that can have influence around the world.
At McDonald’s, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements.
While most of us are working remote during COVID-19, we're excited to get back to our state-of-the-art headquarters in the booming West Loop of downtown Chicago! It's set up to be a global hub that cultivates collaboration:
- Take a class at Hamburger University
- Sample future items in our Test Kitchen
- Utilize the latest technology to connect with your team around the globe
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every single requirement!
We are building a Global Communications function to transform how we manage, measure and strategically plan our global reputation activity.
To support that function, we are looking for a Supervisor, Media Issues and Crisis, who would be responsible for supporting execution of external crisis response that promotes and protects the McDonald’s brand. Reporting to the Director Media Relations and External Engagement, this role will also be responsible for writing of rapid response communications plans, media statements and narratives, handling incoming media inquiries and working directly with media to share information and response. This person works closely with global communications team members to track and monitor issues and develop after action reports to share with senior management.
Daily Inbound Inquiry Management
- Responsible for managing incoming inquiries to the press mailbox and media team including working with appropriate SMEs to develop response.
- Develop media statements, background materials, and external narratives to support responses.
- Work closely with Story Lab team on support for owned content to support response.
- Coordinate, business partners, legal, SMEs and corporate relations partners to secure approval for response approach.
- Serve as media point of contact for rapid response issues.
- Point of contact to U.S. communications team for external issues management.
Proactive Issues Management Planning
- Work with Issues & Insights and Strategies and Campaigns to identify issues that have the potential to generate external interest and impact McDonald’s reputation.
- Develop external communications plans and rules of engagement to proactively address and respond to key issues.
- Arranges and staffs media opportunities for SMEs.
- Develop relationships with key media covering the business and policy.
- Serve as primary Media and External Engagement point of contact for ad-hoc business and milestone announcements.
- Provide support for media engagement and plan development for food, people and planet pillars.
- Run approval process for media statements and plans with SMEs and communications colleagues.
- Coordinate with the U.S. customer care team (email, phone, e-care) and U.S. communications team to ensure message alignment in response to customers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, English, communications, business or liberal arts
- Revelant previous experience, preferably within in corporate or political communications role or agency.
- Significant experience reputation management and crisis communications, including on the record experience with media.
- Proven ability to support and counsel senior-level executives and build trust within a highly matrixed organization.
- Strong business knowledge with a demonstrated ability to understand business strategy and how to use communications as a mechanism to drive that strategy.
- Natural storyteller with excellent speaking, writing and editing skills.
- The ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, while being flexible, collaborative and deadline driven.
- The ability to influence without authority and motivate others toward common objectives.
- A critical thinker with a bias for action; understands how to drive to clarity amidst ambiguity\
- Experience in project management and large-scale event planning/implementation.
- Communications experience including message development, message distribution via myriad channels, building relationships with reporters, and writing communications plans.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact email@example.com
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.